Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
daFool
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Mauri Sahlberg

Tape library not recognized

Post by daFool »

2/6/2015 9:06:40 AM Error Discovering tape libraries on server ROOT-FIS1VEEAM0
2/6/2015 9:06:40 AM Error Failed to discovering tape libraries on server ROOT-FIS1VEEAM0 Error: 'ROOT-FIS1VEEAM01' isn't current owner. You have to change current owner
'ROOT-FIS1VEEAM01' isn't current owner. You have to change current owner

Latest iteration: wipe whole server, install windows 2012 R2 Server, install IBM tape drivers version 50 in non exclusive mode for windows 2012. Install Veeam 8 + latest patch. Add tapeserver and this is the result. Remove the tapeserver, reboot machine, add tapeserver - same result. The machine is physical IBM box, the library is directly connected to the machine. No other machine should be able to see the tape library. IBM diagnostic tools can find the library and operate it. But Veeam does not find the library and gives the error above.

The same physical server was previously build for Backup Exec which happily used the library, so we naively assumed that we would have no problems converting it for Veeam and getting finally rid off BE completely.

There is an open support case with ID: Case # 00742420

Any ideas? I'm getting desperate as our policy requires storing certain things to tape for longer storage and disk storage is soon going to start losing things (retention) that should have already been "moved" to tape.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Tape library not recognized

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Mauri,
While support is looking at your logs you could check the tape proxy owner by opening the regedit on the tape proxy server and digging to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Veeam\Veeam Backup Tape Backup Server value?
daFool
Novice

Post by daFool »

It seems to be: ROOT-FIS1VEEAM0 which is almost "correct" within our naming standard. In my eye I can now spot two errors from our side. Both are absolutely against our policy:
1) The name of the machine exceeds 16 characters, the "1" at the end of the name after the "0" is the 17th character
2) There are two dns names for the same host: root-fis1veeam01.root.local and root-f1siveeam01.root.local and the reverse look up zone returns the latter one. The first one is correct (except the 17th character) and the latter is incorrect.
I will ask fix for both problems (or do them by myself) and try again. I will let you know how it went. Thanks for the help.
daFool
Novice

Post by daFool » 1 person likes this post

Well, the name exceeded 15 - not 16 characters. Renaming the server fixed the problem. Thank you.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Mauri,
Glad you nailed it. So the difference between GPO policy and set dns name was the reason, I assume, the applied policy was blocking the used name and it was not resolved correctly, right?
lukasz.kos
Novice
Full Name: Łukasz Kos

Post by lukasz.kos »

I'll refresh the subject - I have the same error message on my second veeam backup server. If i try: Inventory Library, Catalog Library, Rescan, Import Tapes I get: 'XXXX' isn't current owner. You have to change current owner 'XXXX' isn't current owner. You have to change current owner. Configuration is Windows 2012 R2 Standard, Quantum Scalar i40, Veeam 8.0.0.2021. I have a primary server with the same configuration and everything is fine. Please help! :(
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hey lukasz.kos,

Have you checked the solution suggested above (the registry key at the tape proxy)? Thanks.
lukasz.kos
Novice

Post by lukasz.kos »

Dima P. wrote:Hey lukasz.kos,

Have you checked the solution suggested above (the registry key at the tape proxy)? Thanks.
Hi,
I've checked: current owner of Veeam Backup Tape key is SYSTEM.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

You need to check the actual value of that key - it represents the host name of the connected tape proxy as an owner.

EDIT: Additionaly, check that you are running the latest Update 3. Thanks
lukasz.kos
Novice

Post by lukasz.kos » 1 person likes this post

Problem solved. I tried to experiment with permissions to Veeam Backup Tape key. First I changed owner from SYSTEM to Administrator - no progress. Then I gone back to SYSTEM, but with propagation to child objects - that worked and now it's fine :)