Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
bitbucket
Influencer
Liked: never

Tape Library with 2 drives with differing LTO types

Post by bitbucket »

I've run an Overland Tandberg T24 with a single LTO6 drive for years without issue. I've added a LTO9 drive to the library along side the LTO6.

Is there a certain process to make this work? Or will the Veeam server and/or tape library know to load LTO6 in the LTO6 drive and the same with LTO9? I haven't done much else other than initialize the LTO9 tapes and add them to the media pool.

Jumping 3 revs of LTO I know the LTO9 cannot read the LTO6 tapes, but this is my only tape library so I need the LTO6 drive around until the retention period of my LTO6 tapes expire.

I'm getting the following errors when running my tape job:

Code: Select all

[TapeService] Failed to LoadTapeToDriveByScsi Fixed format, current; Sense key: Illegal Request. Incompatible volume qualifier  
Error: Failed to call RPC function 'LoadMediumByScsi': Fixed format, current; Sense key: Illegal Request. Incompatible volume qualifier. Failed to perform scsi command. CDB: a5 00 00 00 03 e9 00 01 00 00 00 00. 
Library and drive firmware and drivers are up to date. Library is single logical with the LTO9 drive set to master.
Regnor
VeeaMVP
Liked: 291 times
Full Name: Max

Re: Tape Library with 2 drives with differing LTO types

Post by Regnor »

Unfortunately mixing LTO generations in the same libary doesn't work and will end up with errors.
The only exception is, when you partition the library in a way that each drive can only see/access tapes from a supported generation.
From what I read, the T24 can do partitioning, so maybe this is the way to go?
If not, and you're only thinking about restoring, you could also disable the LTO6 drive in Veeam.
In case you need to restore, re-enable it and disable the LTO9 drive.