Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
soncscy
Veteran
Liked: 312 times
Full Name: Harvey

Tape Parallel Processing Jobs and Backup Chains: Is there priority?

Post by soncscy »

Hello!

I'm hoping that someone can clarify the expected behavior for my shop and I.

Parallel Processing gives the option for paralleling with both Source Jobs and Per-VM Chains. In the User Guide, it gives an example for a Tape Job with multiple source jobs, a Tape Job with a single source job and Per-VM chains, but not the behavior with both. https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ver=95u4#2

What is the priority or logic when the Tape Job has multiple source jobs AND these jobs are Per-VM source jobs?

We did internal testing and it looks like the Multiple Jobs take priority, and this makes sense for us since you don't want one job to hog all the drives, but can someone confirm this is indeed the priority?

This line here from the User Guide though seems to suggest otherwise though:
The order in which VMs are queued for processing is defined by the order of VMs within each source job, by the order of source jobs within each tape job and the schedule configured for running tape jobs.
So if I have the following:

1 Tape Job
3 Source Jobs [A,B,C], all PerVM, 2 VMs per Job
3 drives

I should expect which scenario?

Scenario 1:

Drive 1: Job A, VM 1
Drive 2: Job A, VM 2
Drive 3: Job B, VM 1

Scenario 2:

Drive 1: Job A
Drive 2: Job B
Drive 3: Job C

Hope this makes sense!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Tape Parallel Processing Jobs and Backup Chains: Is there priority?

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Hello soncscy,
it gives an example for a Tape Job with multiple source jobs, a Tape Job with a single source job and Per-VM chains, but not the behavior with both
If you have multiple source jobs with multiple backup chains you can process in parallel every backup chain, but we will process all the files from a single backup job first. When we detect available tape drive we can start processing backup chains produced by the next job in the list. The priority between source jobs is defined in the backup to tape job wizard:

1 Tape Job
3 Source Jobs [A,B,C], all PerVM, 2 VMs per Job
3 drives
Scenario 1 is correct. Cheers!
soncscy
Veteran
Liked: 312 times
Full Name: Harvey

Re: Tape Parallel Processing Jobs and Backup Chains: Is there priority?

Post by soncscy »

Thank you, Dima! Crystal Clear :)