Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
final
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times

Two cents on GFS jobs

Post by final »

Hi,

Just two small things on GFS jobs:
1. When setting the retention period for Quarterly Media Sets, the step "GFS Media Set" asks for the retention period in quarters. However, the summary pages then shows the retention period in months instead of quarters (i.e. if I leave the retention at the default of 3 quarters, the summary page for quarterly backups would show the retention at 3 months). Which one is it?

2. I use a tape libary with two drives. I know that GFS jobs currently do not support simultaneous processing, so only one drive is used at the same time. However, Veeam seems to always use the same drive. IMHO, Veeam should use the drives alternately, so that the drives share the load. Currently, I have to do this manually by disabling a drive in Veeam every other month.

Best,
final
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Two cents on GFS jobs

Post by Shestakov »

Hi final
1. If you set the retention = 3 quarters in the media pool options, the tapes will be protected for 9 months. We will check if there is a UI typo.
2. Tape GFS parallel processing feature has a high priority and should be available in next releases.
Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Two cents on GFS jobs

Post by veremin »

1. Fixed in 9.5. Thanks.