Discussions specific to tape backups
wa15
Expert
Liked: 18 times

U4 Feature Questions: NDMP Backup To Tape?

Post by wa15 » Jan 10, 2019 9:19 pm

Been testing B&R U4 and I had a couple of feature related questions. I realize these will be answered once the product goes GA, but who can wait! :)

1. I see that I can add an NDMP NAS server. Once added, I have the option of backing up tape directly. Is this the long-awaited "NAS file share backup" feature that was noted a couple years back for V10? Is this feature designed to back up many TBs of data to tape? Can it also index data?

2. Regarding the SOBR archive tier feature with S3 storage: from a Veeam standpoint, is there any reason this feature couldn't be used to replace tapes for the purpose of long-term (e.g. 7 years) archival? I remember that this was being touted as a "tape replacement" feature back many months ago so I want to make sure that that's still a use case.

Gostev
Veeam Software
Liked: 3033 times

Re: U4 Feature Questions: NDMP Backup To Tape?

Post by Gostev » Jan 10, 2019 10:31 pm

Hello!

1. NDMP to Tape is strictly volume level NAS backup and restore functionality, nothing more than that. This is separate from scalable file-level backup functionality to disk (including, but not limited to NAS file shares as a source) that is scheduled to be shipped in the next update. We found that larger customers want both, they consider NDMP to Tape dumps as the "last resort" backup for when everything else fails.

2. No reasons from Veeam standpoint. As long as you can afford it (as some leading object storage providers are by an order of magnitude more expensive than tape), then this functionality can certainly be a tape replacement for long-term data archival use case.

Thanks!

wa15
Expert

Post by wa15 » Jan 10, 2019 10:40 pm

Great to know, thanks for the info!

sraj
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Rajesh Samidurai

Post by sraj » Jan 11, 2019 7:29 pm

wa15 - let me know if there is any specific instructions to be followed for adding the NDMP Server or any syntax format for specific credentials

wa15
Expert

Post by wa15 » Jan 12, 2019 1:00 am

@ sraj - no specific instructions or format for the credentials. Simply following the wizard and entering the creds of a local admin account on the filer did the trick for us.

Dima P.
Veeam Software
Liked: 680 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. » Jan 14, 2019 4:42 pm

sraj wrote:
Jan 11, 2019 7:29 pm
if there is any specific instructions to be followed for adding the NDMP Server or any syntax format for specific credentials
wa15 is correct. In order to add NDMP server to the Veeam B&R console you should go to Add NDMP server wizard and type is the access credentials and IP or host name of your NDMP compatible device. Once done, you can create File to tape jobs with NDMP volumes as a source. Cheers!

sraj
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Rajesh Samidurai

Post by sraj » Jan 15, 2019 1:52 am 1 person likes this post

i used the below steps to add it..

Create an ndmp user account for the vserver. This step is optional as you may use the vserver 'vsadmin' account if you wish.
cluster::> security login create -user-or-group-name ndmpuser -application ssh -authmethod password -vserver <SVM-name> -role vsadmin-backup

Please enter a password for user 'ndmpuser':
Please enter it again:

Generate an ndmp password for the user account. Note: This password will not be the same as the password for the user account.
cluster::> vserver services ndmp generate-password -vserver <SVM-name> -user ndmpuser