Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
davidwatts71
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: David Alexander Watts

Unable to find backup files when tape jobs starts

Post by davidwatts71 »

Hi

We have this strange problem when our tape job starts. We get an error message as soon as the job starts. "Backup file XXXXXX-D2019-08-23T160051_3A06.vib will be excluded from the list of files to backup because it is unavailable. Virtual full backup creation will be skipped"

It seems that Veeam needs more time to initialize the backup repository before the tape job starts. When we did a manual re-scan of the repository and then start the tape job it worked without any
problems. Looking at the backup to disk jobs, you can see the message "Storage Initialized"

We have made a powershell script that rescans the repository before the tape job starts "Rescan-VBREntity -AllRepositories" we have not added the script to the job, but created a scheduled task to run 2 min before the job starts, We have not tested this workaround yet

Backup repository: QUEST DR 6300
Tape robot: Quantum I Scalar i3

Thanks
David
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Unable to find backup files when tape jobs starts

Post by Dima P. »

Hello David,

Can you please clarify how the mentioned backup file was created (i.e. by primary backup job or by backup copy)? Thanks!
davidwatts71
Enthusiast

Post by davidwatts71 »

Hi Dima

Thanks for your reply, its the primary backup job. I have asked support about this because of another issue #03733787

Thanks
David
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello David,

Thanks for the clarification. It's unusual for primary backup jobs, so please keep working with our support team. Cheers!
tomnewman
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Tom Newman

Post by tomnewman »

I have experienced this issue in two scenarios.

Our backup repository is powered down most of the time and powers on nightly for the backups. We have a powershell script that runs prior to the first backup job to force a rescan otherwise we can get this problem.

As of Update 4b, there are SSH/Linux Agent issues if you are running B&R in a Hyper-V environment with a Linux repo. We initially came across this issue with Surebackup that fell over if we testing more than 9 VMs. Later we had problems as you described with tape backups. In both cases we found that increasing the number of SSH sessions on the repo to 100 (default is 10) eliminated both problems. Veeam R&D have said the problems should be fixed in Update 5.

I don't know if either scenario applies to your environment.
davidwatts71
Enthusiast

Post by davidwatts71 »

Thanks tomnewman

The rescan script fixed the problem. At the moment it runs as a scheduled task 2 min before the tape runs. We could have added it to the Veeam job as well.
Thanks for the info on the SSH sessions, will have a look at that
davidwatts71
Enthusiast

Post by davidwatts71 » 1 person likes this post

Just an update to the issue i was having. We checked the Network Adapter on the Veeam server to the repository and in the tab "Power Management" the setting "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" was active. We have disabled and so far it seems to be the cause of the problem, although we are still testing.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello David,

Thanks for sharing the update. Any chance you know if that was a default power plan setting on the machine or was modified during the setup? Cheers!
davidwatts71
Enthusiast

Post by davidwatts71 » 1 person likes this post

Hi Dima

Just an update on this. Sorry but It was not the power management after all. I should have tested this better before posting any results. Veeam support helped me with the case and
we added a registry key which fixed the problem. I was able to replicate the problem every morning but after adding the reg key its working now

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Backup and Replication]
"DoNotCreateHeartbeatFile"=dword:00000001

veeam-backup-replication-f2/backup-copy ... 39457.html

Thanks