Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
DDIT
Expert
Liked: 28 times
Full Name: Michael Yorke

unexpected full backup to tape each day...

Post by DDIT »

[Veeam 9.5.0.1536]

Hi,

Perhaps I have just overlooked a setting somewhere, or it could be a bug, but thought I would post here first as the former seems the most likely.

My B2T jobs appear to be writing a synthesised full backup to tape each day, despite this option only being set to 'Saturday' in the job.

For Saturday, the tape job log shows

Building source backup files list started at 30/06/2018 03:08:59
Backup file \\LONDONVEEAMNAS1\VeeamEMC\VeeamServerBackupRepository\File Server_1\File ServerD2018-06-29T230605.vib on PDDLONS-BACKUP1.pdd.co.uk is locked by a running job, postponing processing.
Source backup files detected. VBK: 0, VBK map: 0, VIB: 0
Synthetic full backup from File ServerD2018-06-29T230605.vib (30/06/2018 00:00:00) will be placed into the media set
Source backup files detected. VBK: 0, VBK map: 1, VIB: 0

Then on Monday, the tape job log shows

Building source backup files list started at 02/07/2018 21:40:09
2 backup files are locked by a running job, postponing processing 12:28
Source backup files detected. VBK: 0, VBK map: 0, VIB: 0
New backup File ServerD2018-07-02T195029.vib will be placed into the media set

Synthetic full backup from File ServerD2018-06-29T230605.vib (30/06/2018 00:00:00) will be placed into the media set <<< Why???
Source backup files detected. VBK: 0, VBK map: 1, VIB: 1

My B2T job has the following settings...

Full backup = Scheduled for Saturday
Incremental backup = ticked "archive incremental backups to tape"
Options = ticked "process latest full backup chain only" (this shouldn't matter as backup to disk type is forever forward)
Schedule = Run the job "as new backup files appear" (schedule is always)

B2D jobs are forever forward incremental, scheduled to run Mon-Fri evening, with 20 restore points. This is working fine. The intention is to then create a synthesised full backup, on tape, each Saturday, then copy the Mon-Fri incremental backups to tape also.

Tape infrastructure is 7 tapes (1.4TB capacity/each) in an autoloader with one drive. My media set is configured to "Do not create, always continue using the current media set".

Is there something wrong in my setup? Thanks in advance.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: unexpected full backup to tape each day...

Post by PTide »

Hi,
<...> My B2T job has the following settings...

Full backup = Scheduled for Saturday <...>
<...> B2D jobs are forever forward incremental, scheduled to run Mon-Fri evening <...>
My guess is that you should either enable your source job to run on Saturday, or put your Virtual Full forward. That way, if your B2T job starts on Saturday and will create a synthetic full for the backup from Friday. As the User Guide says:
Missing Source Backups

The source chain may not contain an increment on the virtual full day. In this case, the tape job uses a backup that is closest to the virtual full day within the virtual full interval. For example, if the source backup closest to the virtual full day was on Tuesday, the tape job will synthesize a virtual full that represents the machine state as of Tuesday.
In your case the closest backup to Saturday is Monday backup.

Thank you
DDIT
Expert
Liked: 28 times
Full Name: Michael Yorke

Re: unexpected full backup to tape each day...

Post by DDIT »

Thanks. I have just changed the virtual full backup schedule from Saturday to Friday to see if that makes a difference. I'll update after next weekend.