Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
sf4692
Influencer
Liked: 9 times

Using Tape Drive on 2nd server with Backup Copy Job

Post by sf4692 » 1 person likes this post

Hi all!

is it possible to copy backups (push i think is the only way at the moment - once daily) from primary backup server to secondary one and then put this VM backup files to tape on that second server with a job triggered on that 2nd server so i wont consume ressource on main backup server as well as not interfere with running backup sessions.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Using Tape Drive on 2nd server with Backup Copy Job

Post by Mildur »

Hi

You must use File to Tape Jobs to create tapes from backup copy jobs from another VBR server.
You cannot create backup to tape jobs, because the second vbr server is not aware of the backup jobs.

There is another topic which discusses the same question.

You could add the second server as a Tape server.
Is it used only as a tape server or does the second server process any workloads like backup jobs?
If you used it as a tape server, the backup server itself will not leverage to much resources. Tape Jobs should be processed by the second server.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
sf4692
Influencer
Liked: 9 times

Post by sf4692 »

HI thank you for explanation Mildur. i dont want to sue file to tape job as it takes much longer for a restore (in case..) will then trigger the job from primary backup server. is there a feature in V12 which will simplify this?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Your welcome.
When you add your second server as a tape server, then this looks already simplified to me. You can leverage backup to Tape Jobs. Makes everything a lot easier. For example you can directly restore vms from Tape back to production. This is not possible with File to Tape Jobs. Having a second server means you need to maintain a second veeam software. Also having a single management interface which coordinates everything will help you to have an overview.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software