V7 Share SCSI tape library

Everything about backing up to tape

V7 Share SCSI tape library

Veeam Logoby Giacomo_N » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:30 pm

Hi guys, after read the v7 guide i've decide to shutdown the backup exec server with the SCSI tape library attached.
According to user guide, the tape library can be located in the same site or in another one using iSCSI over the network.

Tape device. Physical tape library, a virtual tape library or a stand-alone tape drive; The tape device should be located in the same site with the Veeam Backup server; connection between them is established directly (using FC/SCSI) or over the network (using iSCSI).

Is it possible to share a scsi library attached to physical windows 2008 server to use it by veeam VM by iscsi? If yes, how?

Thanks in advance
Giacomo_N
Enthusiast

Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Giacomo Nichele

Re: V7 Share SCSI tape library

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:54 pm

Assuming that library in question supports ISCSI connection, it can be directly attached through this protocol to VB&R server. As long as tape device is shown in the Windows Device Manager (on VB&R server) and uses common Windows drivers, instead of specific, you should be able to use it. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 973 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby Giacomo_N » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:05 pm

Thank you Vladimir for the reply, the library it's an IBM TS3100 SCSI actually attached by a scsi controller to a physical server, the question is if is it possibble to expose/share
that library over the netowrk by a software or by windows 2008 R2 native iscsi tools..i know, isn't a specific veeam question but it's for a VB&R purpose :). Thanks
Giacomo_N
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:12 pm 1 person likes this post

According to the customers, there is a free tool that allows you to expose physically connected tape appliance via ISCSI protocol. Though, I didn’t test it myself. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Giacomo_N » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:37 pm

v.Eremin wrote:According to the customers, there is a free tool that allows you to expose physically connected tape appliance via ISCSI protocol. Though, I didn’t test it myself. Thanks.

Thank you Vladimir! I want to try this solution, the goal is to keep the veeam server virtual and use the tape library in an physical server for a monthly copy job.
After the testing i can post my result with this architecture.
Sorry for the wrong post room, now i know the "tape" section on the forum!
Giacomo_N
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:56 pm

I’m also interested in this; so, kindly keep us updated about the results you get. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby guillermo.lozano » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:04 pm

Hi, i'm trying to use this solution to connect, does anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks.
Regards,
Guillermo.-
guillermo.lozano
Enthusiast

Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Guillermo Lozano

Veeam Logoby guillermo.lozano » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:17 pm

Hello Community, I manager to install Star wind Tape Redirector the tape driver and my Widows Server where Veeam v7 resides is seeing the drive correctly!!!! It's really amazing that a tape drive can be shared by iSCSi.
The Tape Drive (IBM HH-LTO3) was tested correctly by the IBM ITDT Tool on the VM (Veeam Server v7), but now Veeam won't see the tape cartridge inside the drive, Veeam console shows the drive but it says that is empty,

What might be missing for veeam?

Thanks.
Regards,
Guillermo.-
guillermo.lozano
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:32 pm

Guillermo,

Thank you for the heads up! Is there any chance that IBM ITDT Tool could lock drive?
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 441 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Veeam Logoby Giacomo_N » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:37 pm

guillermo.lozano wrote:Hello Community, I manager to install Star wind Tape Redirector the tape driver and my Widows Server where Veeam v7 resides is seeing the drive correctly!!!! It's really amazing that a tape drive can be shared by iSCSi.
The Tape Drive (IBM HH-LTO3) was tested correctly by the IBM ITDT Tool on the VM (Veeam Server v7), but now Veeam won't see the tape cartridge inside the drive, Veeam console shows the drive but it says that is empty,

What might be missing for veeam?

Thanks.
Regards,
Guillermo.-

Hi Guillermo, i'm trying to do the same, but i'm a little bit confused.
I've install the tape redirector only in the physical server where the library is attached, then i've try to configure the scsi target in the veeam V7 VM..is it correct?

Thank you!
Giacomo_N
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:55 pm

Giacomo,

Tape Redirector is installed on a server with the attached tape drive; it creates a gateway to a tape library via iSCSI. Then you add target to iSCSI initiator at the Veeam v7 VM and install drivers of the tape drives.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 441 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Veeam Logoby guillermo.lozano » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:29 pm 6 people like this post

Hi Community!

I managed to get it working now!!
I'm downloading a backup job from Virtual Veeam Server to tape as I’m writing this post.

How?:

On the Physical Server where the tape is connected I’ve installed the Starwind Tape Redirector.
Then from the starwind management console I added the tape drive and exported it with the iSCSi Target.
Then on the VM where Veeam resides (Server 2008 R2 x64) I installed the tape drivers.
After that I added the iSCSI target with the Windows iSCSI Initiator (IP & port 33268 not 3260).

Voila! Tape device is listed as a local device on Windows Device Manager, and Veeam v7 sees the tape.

To start using the tape in veeam I had to manually catalog the tape cartridges (I'm Using a standalone drive) and then create the media pool. (Please See the Veeam v7 Manual for full instructions on how this works)

Now I have to see how it handles, currently it's processing at 23 MB/s (The Tape Drive Link is SAS 6 Gbps)
Another thing is the capacity declared by Veeam, an LTO3 Drive is around 400 GB wihtout compression, but Veeam shows only 370 GB.

These are details that will be solved, in my experience with Veeam, with the help of their support team i accomplished what I needed when I needed it.

Thanks Starwind Software for the Tape Redirector & VEEAM FOR A GREAT STEP towards Easy & Modern Data Protection that suite all needs!!!!

guillermo.lozano
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby guillermo.lozano » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:42 pm

d.popov wrote:Guillermo,

Thank you for the heads up! Is there any chance that IBM ITDT Tool could lock drive?

Hi Dmitry, yes ITDT Locks during the time the tape device is being used by ITDT Tool.

Regards,
Guillermo.-
guillermo.lozano
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Giacomo_N » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:58 pm

guillermo.lozano wrote:Hi Community!

I managed to get it working now!!
I'm downloading a backup job from Virtual Veeam Server to tape as I’m writing this post.

How?:

On the Physical Server where the tape is connected I’ve installed the Starwind Tape Redirector.
Then from the starwind management console I added the tape drive and exported it with the iSCSi Target.
Then on the VM where Veeam resides (Server 2008 R2 x64) I installed the tape drivers.
After that I added the iSCSI target with the Windows iSCSI Initiator (IP & port 33268 not 3260).....

Thank you Guillermo, it's my fault, with 33268 port is working!
Now i'm trying the tests..

I've another working scenario with Veeam V7 VM working with a scsi pass-through adapter, but there are a lot of limits..no vmotion,no snapshots etc..
Giacomo_N
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:16 am

but there are a lot of limits

I’d say the most critical one is that such scenario is officially not supported by VMware. So, should anything happen with it, you will be by your own. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Next

Return to Tape