We migrated to Veeam Backup and replication but I have some questions about the backup to tape.
This is what we currently have:
Backup to disk:
- daily backup : active full backup on Tuesday and the other days incremental. Retention policy : 14 restore points on disk (these are servers with daily changes)
- weekly backup : active full backup on Saturday on weekly basis. Retention policy : 14 restore points on disk (servers with only a few changes)
The idea is to perform restores, in 90% of the cases, from disk. If - exceptionally - a restore is needed from e.g. 5 weeks ago => We would like to be able to restore from tape. Another reason to use tape is to have an alternative when the disk backup solution has crashed.
=> we have a server with an internal tape drive (1 tape - no library) and we keep the tapes external
=> We have 10 tapes, and we can put 7 daily backups and 1 weekly backup on 1 tape.
=> Idea is to 'rotate' these 10 tapes in 10 weeks (each week another tape)
My question :
How should I configure this in Veeam?
- I configured backup to tape as secondary target
- I have 1 custom media pool with the 10 tapes in it. Retention is 'protect data for 9 weeks'. Media set is 'do not create, always continue using current media set'
- new tape is inserted on Tuesday (and active full backup is also on Tuesday). So I should always have a full backup and 6 incremental backups on 1 tape
=> should I use multiple media pools in this case? I read about this, but I don't think I need multiple media pools
=> when I insert a tape from 10 weeks ago, and when I perform an inventory, I get the error 'cannot inventory tape, unknown media'. When I perform an erase I can inventory the drive. Is this logical behaviour?
=> Media set : I read the user guide, but I don't really know how I should configure this. How should this be configured in my setup ?
Thanks for your help!