Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
jakeW
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Jake W

v9 - Cannot select GFS Media Pool for "file to tape" job.

Post by jakeW »

When creating a file to tape job, I am unable to select a GFS media pool, I am only able to select a regular media pool. Does anyone know if this is by design? Or perhaps a missing feature? I don't understand why you wouldn't be able to use a GFS pool in this context.

My use case is as follows: I have a "Backup to Tape" job configured to backup my whole repository, this job is set to use a GFS media pool. I would also like to run a "File to Tape" job to backup some miscellaneous (non Veeam) files onto the same tape.

Without being able to specify that the file to tape job use the GFS pool, then I am forced to use a separate (regular) pool, which ultimately means using an additional tape.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: v9 - Cannot select GFS Media Pool for "file to tape" job

Post by PTide »

Hi,
Does anyone know if this is by design?
Yes, this is by design. GFS media pool are only provided for backup to tape jobs, not for files to tape ones.
Without being able to specify that the file to tape job use the GFS pool, then I am forced to use a separate (regular) pool, which ultimately means using an additional tape.
Unfortunately the only option would be to use regular media pool for your Backup to Tape job if you want to target File to Tape to the same pool.

Thank you.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Jake,

A possible workaround here is to:
Create a media pool called “Weekly” with retention period equal to X weeks.
Create a file to tape job called “Weekly” and point to the “Weekly” media pool and schedule it to run on weekly basis.
Create a media pool called “Monthly” with retention period equal to X months.
Create a file to tape job called “Monthly” and point to the “Monthly” media pool and schedule it to run on monthly basis.
jakeW
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Jake W

Post by jakeW »

Thank you both for your replies. This answers my question.

Previously I had been using a regular media pool for the Backup to Tape job as PTide suggested, so I guess I'll continue to do that.
I might also consider removing the need for a file to tape job completely. I could achieve this by moving the arbitrary files on the backup server (config files, SQL backups from physical servers, etc) onto a separate VM which can then be backed up alongside all the other VMs.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Sounds good.
It should work.