Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
Dja
Novice
Liked: never

Veeam and tape.... ugh.

Post by Dja »

Is it just me....? I am not attempting anything too difficult here, and have been able to do with other major vendors easily. Most recently Commvault. Enterprises still use tape!

For a range of jobs I simply want to copy the end of month and end of 6 months to tape. And just that full. Preferably to a GFS media pool, for granular protection level.

Seems to me, despite several support tickets (most recently 01419658) this simply can't be done. There is now some improvement with "copy just the last full" to a regular media pool but impossible then to schedule and not available to GFS.

Also if I need to go back to a particular job, and copy to tape, say after a hardware fault in the library at copy time, I can't do that either. I might simply want to go back to a full in mid Jan and copy it to tape for a litigation reason say. Yes I can go copy a file to tape but the relationship to the original job is lost. Unless I label the media pool, and hope someone actually goes looking there, the job is pretty much lost anyway.

At the moment (we have been with Veeam since late last year) I have not all EOY and no EOM jobs on tape.

Very frustrated, any rays of light or enhancement promises welcome!
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 728 times

Re: Veeam and tape.... ugh.

Post by PTide »

Hi,

I'm going to ask you a couple of questions.
For a range of jobs I simply want to copy the end of month and end of 6 months to tape. And just that full. Preferably to a GFS media pool, for granular protection level.
In other words you want to create full backup on tape every last day of every month + copy full backup every 6 month, is that correct?

For example, by the end of the year you want these set of Full backups to be on tapes:

31.01 - 28.02 - 31.03 - 30.04 - 31.05 - 30.06

HALF A YEAR FULL

31.07 - 31.08 - 30.09 - 31.10 - 30.11 - 31.12

HALF A YEAR FULL
Also if I need to go back to a particular job, and copy to tape, say after a hardware fault in the library at copy time, I can't do that either. I might simply want to go back to a full in mid Jan and copy it to tape for a litigation reason say.
Did I get it right - you want to have an ability to stick a backup from the past into an existing backup chain? For example consider forever incremental chain with fulls being created every week started in January. You want to be able to incorporate a January full into an existing tape chain, is that correct?
At the moment (we have been with Veeam since late last year) I have not all EOY and no EOM jobs on tape.
Please describe your source job settings and backup to tape settings.

Thank you.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Hi,
You can create GFS Media Pool with monthly and quarterly media sets to achieve the goal.
If there is hardware or some other errors, backup to tape job retries to copy the files on the next day. You can also manually create a weekly/monthly/etc. backup to tape.
Thanks!
agrob
Veteran
Liked: 53 times
Full Name: Andre

Post by agrob »

I jump on here to. Is it really not possible to change the start time of a tape job using GFS Media Pool? Default start time seems to be at 00:00. But this is does collide with other running veeam jobs so i need to set a custom schedule. Have not seen an option for that. is that true? If yes, any workarround or plan to add this in a future release? thanks
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Andre,
That`s correct. Workaround is also planned.
Please check the related topic.
Thanks!