Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
Capt.Skoomer
Lurker
Liked: never

Veeam B&R Community Edition RDX Support

Post by Capt.Skoomer »

Hi forum,

I hope, that I don't overlook an other thread, in which maybe this topic gets already discussed. But I did not find anything about it. Also not in the feature comparision list of Veeam.
Currently I am backing up my vmware vpshere 7.0U3 environment using the Veeam B&R Community (Free) edition to a local disk repo (ReFS). Which works fine!
For ransomware protection I want to extend my backup strategy with an "Tandberg RDX QuikStor Mobile USB3+ Drive (8782-RDX)" to store my monthly backups off-site.
Is that possible with the community edition of veeam?
I saw, that the RDX-Drive gets configured as repository like a direct attached windows drive with the option enabled "This repository is backed by rotated hard drives".
Is there any other community/free edition limitation, which would prevent from using an RDX-Drive in this constelation?

Just for clarification. I dont want to create a backup copy. I would create an new monthly job, which includes all the needed VMs and the RDX-Drive as Target.

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers
Julian
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Veeam B&R Community Edition RDX Support

Post by Mildur »

Hi Julian

Yes, they need to be configured as a rotated repository.

RDX drives are fully supported by the community edition. You can either use backup or backup copy jobs to write data to a RDX medium. Just note, that GFS is not possible for rotated repositories.

Please also see our kb article for RDX:
https://www.veeam.com/kb4048

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software