Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
blackwindow
Novice
Liked: never

Veeam B&R NetApp SnapVault Backup to tape

Post by blackwindow »

Hi guys,

I have at the current time a new challange to install Veeam B&R with NetApp Integration and SnapVaults Option and then Backup to Tape. Because the customer insists on Backup to tape.

Only to set up Veeam B&R with NetApp integration is not a big deal. But how to back up the storage snapshots on tape is for me very doubtful.

The problem is, how to set up backup to tape from SnapVault or primary storage? Any experience?

Thanks for answers
larry
Veteran
Liked: 97 times
Full Name: Larry Walker

Re: Veeam B&R NetApp SnapVault Backup to tape

Post by larry »

I created a backup from snapshot job (reverse), I keep 7 restore points and then use Veeam Files to Tape to send the set to tape. While it is two jobs, it was quicker to run this way for me, I think with the data on the server with the tape drive the tape drive could run a full speed. I only need the one day but I send the seven because I can fit it. This way also moves the work off the SAN and to the Veeam server so I can rerun a tape job during production if needed.
MichaelCade
Veeam Software
Liked: 74 times
Full Name: Michael Cade

Post by MichaelCade »

How much data are you sending to tape? What sort of speed are you seeing on the transfer? 9.5 we should see a considerable increase in performance for file to tape jobs.
Regards,

Michael Cade
Global Technologist
Veeam Software
Email: Michael.Cade@Veeam.com
Twitter: @MichaelCade1
larry
Veteran

Post by larry »

Just got in new tapes drives, have lto 4s and replacing with lto7 - but using lto 6 tapes. Will speed test after the upgrade. I should of added above is the tape drive is offsite, so taking data from the snap mirror (offsite snap shot) was the only way to use the veeam feature that cut my WAN traffic in half.
larry
Veteran

Post by larry »

LTO 7 drive with LTO 7 7 tape, local disk backup 303 MBS
LTO 7 drive LTO6 tape Local disk backup 153MBS

LTO 4 driveLTO4 tape local or remote server 53MBS

LTO 7 drive/Tape 6 0r 7 remote server backup 56 mbs I believe this is because it uses the one gig nic and not the ten. Each Veeam server or backup repository has 3 NICs, LAN- 1gig, SAN 10gig, NAS- 10 gig. Backups use the 10's but tape I think uses the 1 gig by looking at the numbers.

For me I just always use a local disk to hold the tape job on the tape server for a few reasons.
1) Backup jobs use SAN snapshots which then run faster than a copyfromjob job.
2)I want 3 days (now going to thirty) days of backups going to tape daily. I copy the folder that holds the whole 30 day set.
3)Some jobs use the remote snapmirror for source.
4) tape job doesn't lock the source backup. Which makes a tape job retry doable in the middle of the day while only affecting the Veeam tape server and no other traffic.
5) tape backup data is not dependent on another jobs data so if a CBT error maybe be ok.
6) Some VMs I want to send the 4 backups (every 6 hours) to tape daily.

I still need to pull some old server and redo some jobs.I will try and get the 10 gig when going to tape. Might just stick something in two servers host files with the 10 gig nic IP to see if it is a quick fix. Can't find a prefer NIC for tape jobs :)