Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
JWright
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Jeremy Wright

VEEAM Reading and Restoring from DPM Tapes

Post by JWright »

We recently transitioned from DPM 2012 to VEEAM v8. I am trying to bridge the gap for our old DPM tapes in case we need to get something off of them. I read in another thread that VEEAM could read DPM tapes due to the fact that they write in the same format (MTF).

I have imported tapes from DPM into VEEAM and was able to successfully Inventory them, but I have had no luck getting a catalog job to run on the DPM tape. These tapes were compressed by DPM when they were created.

The error I receive on the tape catalog job is: Failed to read tape xxxxx catalog details: Tape positioning error the end-of-data marker was reached during an operation.

Any ideas what this means?

Am I relegated to keeping my DPM servers running until the tapes expire and are no longer under our data retention policy?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: VEEAM Reading and Restoring from DPM Tapes

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Do you have any tapes without compression to try with Veeam backup console?
JWright
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Jeremy Wright

Post by JWright »

No, all of the tapes we have written to are compressed.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Jeremy,
Please contact the support team regarding the error you received and let me know the case ID. Thank you.
rreed
Veteran
Liked: 72 times

Post by rreed »

Ran into the same thing yesterday, I think in our case caused by our patching system rebooting the tape server in the middle of a job. Trying to restore files from the problem tape yielded the same thing. Luckily the source vbk wasn't yet deleted from retention cycle so we just did a quick erase on the tape and it started working fine. Our tape is a virgin Veeam tape so no difference in format, etc. It just appeared to get goofed up by the server rebooting during use.
VMware 6
Veeam B&R v9
Dell DR4100's
EMC DD2200's
EMC DD620's
Dell TL2000 via PE430 (SAS)
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi rreed,
Our tape is a virgin Veeam tape so no difference in format, etc.
I am a bit lost since this topic was related to the recovery of tape media previously written by MS DPM. Can you elaborate please? Thank you in advance.