Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
dvdn61
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Duco van der Nol

Veeam tape backup

Post by dvdn61 »

We have recently purchased a tape unit which we will be using to make monthly backups for longterm storage.
I have set up a simple (non-GFS) tape job which contains a backup job as source. This backup job (14-day forever incremental) runs daily.
I understand the idea behind synthesized virtual full backups, but in practice it does not work the way I expect it to.
This is the setup:
The monthly tape job runs on the last Sunday of the month, so I have set the virtual full backup schedule also for the last Sunday of the month.
As said the source backup job runs daily.
The first tape job went as expected, but the next monthly backup gave the following error:
- Synthesized full was not created for 27-4-2019; There are no new restore points between 25-3-2019 and 27-4-2019.
This is strange, as the source backup runs daily there should be plenty new restore points.
Questions:
1. Can anybody explain this behavior? Does it have to do with the fact that I set my synthesized full on the same Sunday?
And speaking of synthesized full:
2. why do I have the option to set a specific day for synthesized full backups, as the actual synthesizing takes place during the tape backup process? At least that is how I read it works.
3. is there an argument against ticking all weekdays for synthesized fulls? Reason: just to be sure that I have the latest virtual full at my disposal.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Veeam tape backup

Post by Dima P. »

Hello and welcome to the community dvdn61!

Are you running Veeam B&R 9.5 Update 4 or earlier version? Thank you in advance!
dvdn61
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Duco van der Nol

Post by dvdn61 »

We are running Veeam B&R 9.5 Update 4.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello dvdn61,

Sorry for keeping silence, looks like I somehow missed your last reply. We have identified the similar issue related to backup copy jobs and the described behavior looks similar. Please raise a support case and share the case ID in this thread for the reference. Thank you in advance!