Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
asifganai
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Asif Ganai

Virtual Tape Library

Post by asifganai »

Hi,
We are looking at replacement of physical Tape Infrastructure. We have a requirement of long term archival. Currently our on-premises infrastructure is FC based. And have a very limited on-prem backup storage space. I have the below concerns. Please assist here.
1. If we replace current on-prem Tape Infrastructure with AWS VTL's. does it store a copy of data locally before sending out data to VTL's? And can we send daily incrementals to VTL like a normal tape job?
2. Since our copmlete infrastructure is FC based, will this concept of VTL work here or Veeam/Tape Server on premises need to be ISCSI?
Lastly do you recommend to go with VTL's or Object Storage(SOBR) for long term archivals.
Regards
Asif Ali
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Virtual Tape Library

Post by Andreas Neufert »

1. You are correct it works like a normal tape. You can implement local caching of data as well. You will find more informations here: https://www.veeam.com/wp-using-aws-vtl- ... guide.html
2. It will be iSCSI I think. But please look into the guide linked above to see if there is a FC option as well.

3. I think going by object storage will help you to save costs as less data is uploaded (block cloining with incremental forever approach is used). You can make the backups as well immutable to protect from ransomware (with hacker taking over the system and deleting things manual).