Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
Sheppen
Veeam Software
Liked: never
Full Name: Brad Sheppard

[Feature Request] Warning or Error when .vbk is locked

Post by Sheppen »

A Customer I'm working with has asked me to file this request. The issue is that when a tape job is running while the source .vbk is locked it reports the lock with a success.

The Customer would like to have it where, when a source .vbk is locked, it reports as either a Warning or Error message when the backup to tape is postponed. This way the customer would be able to notice that there was nothing actually put to tape.

In my customer's case the tape job only runs on a bi-monthly schedule and he is required to commit data to tape twice a month. The Warning or Error would allow him to easily notice when the data was prevented from going to tape when the files are locked.

Thanks!
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: [Feature Request] Warning or Error when .vbk is locked

Post by Shestakov » 1 person likes this post

Hello Brad and welcome to the forums.

The customer`s request is totally fair, and in the upcoming v9 version the behavior is changed. Starting from v9, if some of the source files are locked, the tape job is going to wait according to the corresponding setting and if it`s still locked after the interval, job will be finished with errors. However all restore points successfully copied to tape will be kept.

Thanks!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: [Feature Request] Warning or Error when .vbk is locked

Post by Dima P. »

Moreover the ‘wait for the linked backup jobs’ schedule option was reworked to wait for all the linked jobs by default.