Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
BradWilson
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Brad Wilson

Weekly, Monthly or Yearly backups to tape

Post by BradWilson »

Hi,
starting a new thread so as to not bump and old thread vmware-vsphere-f24/when-is-m-w-or-y-add ... 75182.html .
I'm currently working through an existing Veeam installation that has been updated to 11.

Previously weekly, monthly and yearly backups were archived to tape based on file mask, e.g. _M, _Y. Is there a method to do the same now that this flag is in the DB and not the filename?

I probably should add that this is a clients backup. The have their local, we get backup copy each night, and then we were backing up monthly and yearly to tape for long term storage.

Thank you
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2276 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Weekly, Monthly or Yearly backups to tape

Post by Mildur »

Hi Brad

I‘m not sure, that using your backup server to process client restore points is allowed by our license policy. The Rental license must be used on your datacenter VBR server to process clients data.
And using File to Tape Jobs from the Community edition is also forbidden by our EULA.

Cloud Connect and Tenant Backup to Tape is our feature for your scenario.
Cloud Connect Backup is leveraged for your tenant to send the restore points (Backup Copy) in your datacenter, and the tape job lets you automatically write tapes (GFS) of your tenant backups to tape. You can choose which tenants will get a tape and which are not.

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
BradWilson
Novice

Post by BradWilson »

Hi Fibian,
Sorry, we are doing that, not using Community edition.
Tenant is sending their restore points to us via Cloud Connect. It is set to backup copy us their daily increments on job backup completion, and create weekly\monthly\yearlys on the weekends, which were also then backup copied to us via Cloud Connect.
Previously we had been using a File to Tape job and based on the tenant share on the SoRB and file mask to copy only the _M or _Y files to tape, we do not need the daily incremental or even weekly full copies.

Looking at the link you provided, on the tape server running VBR, I can create tape jobs, but it does not see any tenants. The only place I can see the tenants is on the Cloud Connect install.

So we have Tenant VRB 11 --> SP Gateway --> SP VBR CC
--> SoRB <-- SP VBR (Tape Server)

The VBR CC server cannot connect to the tape server directly due to network security. Both VBR CC and VBR Tape server can access the SoRB. This is why I believe the File to Tape job with a file mask was in use successfully prior to version 11.
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Hi Brad

Thanks for the explanation.
If you want to stay with Veeam FLR Jobs, try soncscy script from the other topic to determine which restore points are GFS RPs. The command works with imported backups, but I can't test if they recognize GFS restore points. I don't have them in my lab.

Code: Select all

$backup = Get-VBRBackup -name "JobName_imported"
$storages = $backup.GetAllChildrenStorages()
$storages | select FilePath, GFSPeriod
The tricky part will be then, how you get those values in to the tape job. Probably another command to manage the tape jobs.
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110

Easiest way is still to have a dedicated Tape Server for the cloud connect environment. If you provide the tape backup to many customers, I'm sure the investment should pay off over the next 3-5 years.
BradWilson
Novice

Post by BradWilson »

Hi Fabian,
so a better idea would to be to get the network security changed to all the CC VBR to directly connect to the VBR server with the tape unit? And then recreate the jobs based on Tenant. I'm playing a little bit of catch-up with both the Veeam setup here and dealing with multiple external clients.

Thanks for your help!

Brad
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Hi Brad

You can add a Tape Server only to one VBR Server. Sharing between two VBR Server is not possible.
If your "VBR server with the tape unit" doesn't have any other function, you can connect this server with your VCC environment. But if you use this server todo backups in your datacenter, then it's not possible.

Thanks
Fabian