Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
atakacs
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Alexandre Takacs

What can I do with tape & standrd edition ?

Post by atakacs »

Ok I muss be missing something obvious.

I understand that standard edition does only support limited tape operation. Among those, again as per my understanding, is the "file to tape" operation, ie copying files from a CIFS share to a tape.

However, for the life of me, I can't seem to have it working.

1. I go into Tape infra > File to Tape
2. I select my source (a CIFS share)
3. I am prompted for a media pool.... I can create one but next I have to add a tape library which requires the enterprise edition..

How is this supposed to work? My requirement is to be able to write (overwrite if needs be) to whatever tape is present in the device. No but, no if, no rotation, just go for it. Is it possible?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: What can I do with tape & standrd edition ?

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Alexandre,
I understand that standard edition does only support limited tape operation. Among those, again as per my understanding, is the "file to tape" operation, ie copying files from a CIFS share to a tape.
Correct, file to tape jobs are available for standard editions.
How is this supposed to work? My requirement is to be able to write (overwrite if needs be) to whatever tape is present in the device. No but, no if, no rotation, just go for it. Is it possible?
Sure, please check if you have a tape library registered under tape infrastructure and this tape device is listed under media pool properties?
3. I am prompted for a media pool.... I can create one but next I have to add a tape library which requires the enterprise edition..
Can you please share a link to the screenshot or the exact error text? Thanks!