Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
tehinternet
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Mike

What is considered part of the Repository when writing to tape

Post by tehinternet »

If I write Veeam backups to tape, I have the option to select individual backup jobs or the entire Veeam Repository.

My question is, when picking the entire repository, what is considered part of that repository?

-Are backup jobs written by remote agents included if they're appearing in the B&R console?
-Does the self-VeeamConfigBackup get included?
-If I manually create a sub-folder within the repository and put some files in it, are those included?
-If I have a Veeam backup created by a B&R job or agent job and I manually copy and paste it into the repository (I know, not ideal) would that be considered part of the repository and written to tape?

Thanks.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: What is considered part of the Repository when writing to tape

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Mike.
If you choose to archive data from backup repositories, the backup to tape job will process only the backups that were created with backup jobs configured on this Veeam backup server. Imported backups and configuration backups will be skipped from processing, as per respectful User Guide article. So answering your questions:
- Yes if job protecting those agents is configured on VBR server.
- No. Use File to Tape type of job for it.
- No. Use File to Tape type of job for it.
- No. Imported backups are skipped.
/Cheers!
tehinternet
Enthusiast

Post by tehinternet »

Hi Egor,

Thanks for the reply. In regards to agents writing to the repository, when you said:

"Yes if job protecting those agents is configured on VBR server."

So I am totally clear, is there a difference on if the agent's backup is included in the Veeam backup to tape job in these scenarios:

-Agent in free mode writing to Veeam Repository. You can see the agent's job in Veeam B&R, but can't edit it from there, need to do it on the agent.
-Agent in paid mode, fully integrated and deployed via B&R console. Can edit the agent's job(s) via Veeam B&R and don't need to go to the host the agent is on to make changes.

Thanks.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Both cases "yes". As long as Job is visible under [Home - Jobs], it's backups will be under [Backups - Disk] node and will get picked by "Backup to Tape" job with "Repository" as a source. If you delete such job, backups will slip into [Backups - Disk(Imported)] node and won't be offloaded to tape anymore.
/Cheers!
tehinternet
Enthusiast

Post by tehinternet »

Thank you again Egor.

That makes sense.

So if I want to backup up everything in the repository (not counting config backups or backups from deleted jobs) generally just picking the entire repository would be the way to go instead of remembering to add new jobs to the backup.