Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
Erhardt
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Erhardt

Where can i find the Backup to Tape Button?

Post by Erhardt »

Hello,

we have Veeam B&R 7 and i can't find the Backup to Tape Button.
The Client haven't any Tape Library installed - but we have an RDX Drive with USB3.0 and i thought i can use the new Feature with RDX.
Does the Button only appear, when Veeam found a Tape Library?

I want to test the new Tape-Feature of Veeam 7 because of the known "Missing VBK" Error, if you change the external RDX-Tapes daily and have more than 1 Retention.

With Veeam 6.5 i used the registry values "ForceCreateMissingVBK = 1", "DisableVBKRename = 1" and "MinRemovedVMRetentionDays = 1" and setted the Retention to "1" - it worked well.
Are these registry values available in Veeam 7, too?

Thank you :oops:
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Where can i find the Backup to Tape Button?

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

Hello Erhardt,

You should have a tape library installed in order to use tape jobs. If you can present your RDX device as a tape device (RDX-based appliance should look like a tape library or autoloader), then it will be automatically added to the Veeam backup console and you will be able to use backup to tape jobs.

Alternatively, you can start using backup copy jobs to achieve what you want with the registry keys above, as they are expected to work with backup copy jobs too. Though based on the latest feedback from these forums, there might be some issues with these keys in v7, I will try to clarify this situation with our dev team.

Thanks!
Erhardt
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Erhardt

Post by Erhardt »

Okay, thank you.

Mhm, it looks that i had to set the values to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VeeaM\Veeam Backup and Replication" too and not like described to "Wow6432Node" only (I use Win7 Prof x64). Now it seems to work - with 2 or more Backup-Retentions to my RDX-Tapes, too :P .

Great!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Yes, no need to deal with Wow6432Node as Veeam B&R is a full blown 64-bit application.