Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
sraj
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Rajesh Samidurai

Windows agent job retention

Post by sraj »

Pls suggest on my below requirement

1. Windows agent job is configured with full backup on every sat and other 6 days incremental of a shared folder and retain for 3 weeks in veeam repo.
This shared folder is dumped with 1TB of data on daily basis (Shared folder clean up job runs every day to cleanup files older than 3 days)
2. Duplicate Tape job for above agent job to copy to 8 weeks media pool (All days above backup)
3. Another Duplicate Tape job for above agent job to copy to 2 year media pool (currently full backup - but any one day data is preferred is my requirement)

When the Agent job runs for first time it backup all files on the share (3 days backup) and other 6 days it backup only the newly created files.
The problem here is again when the agent job runs on 2nd week, on Sat it does full backup and copies all 3 day files which is a duplicated data

I can configure the Agent job to run as incremental job after first schedule, as this backup only the new files alone from shared folder, if i do this how do i achieve the 2 Year Duplicate job copy requirement which is any one day data of a week to this media pool.

Please suggest.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Windows agent job retention

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
I try to understand what you mean
Windows agent job is configured with full backup on every sat and other 6 days incremental of a shared folder and retain for 3 weeks in veeam repo.
what does "of a shared folder" mean? Veeam Agent for Windows cannot backup from shared folders.
This shared folder is dumped with 1TB of data on daily basis (Shared folder clean up job runs every day to cleanup files older than 3 days)
what does that mean? do you delete backup files manually (per script) instead of letting Veeam doing the job?

Is the configuration I show in the screenshot what you have configured for the agent job? If not, can you please describe your settings?

Best regards,
Hannes
sraj
Enthusiast

Post by sraj »

sure.let me. its a agent based backup to backup a specific windows directory D:\Data (which is a shared folder to end user)
user loads the data in this path from application on daily basis and they have the own cleanup script to cleanup the files which are older than 3 days.

Windows veeam agent job backup the D:\data and retains in veeam backup repo 3 weeks. (Agent-job-1)
Agent-job-1 is part of Secondary Backup destinations (Tape job) for full backup and 6 incremental for every week - Tape retention 8 weeks
Same Agent-job-1 is part of Another Tape job for full every week backup alone - Tape retention 2 year media pool.

When the Agent job runs on day1 it backup all files on the share (3 days backup resides on D:\data) and other 6 days it backup only the newly created files (incremental backup)
The problem here is again when the agent job runs on 2nd week, on Sat it does full backup and copies all 3 day files which is a duplicated data of other 2 day data.

I can configure the Agent job to run as incremental job after day-1, as this backup only the new files alone from shared folder,
if i do this how do i achieve the 2 Year Duplicate job copy requirement which is any one day data of a week to this media pool.
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

sure.let me. its a agent based backup to backup a specific windows directory D:\Data (which is a shared folder to end user)
user loads the data in this path from application on daily basis and they have the own cleanup script to cleanup the files which are older than 3 days.
okay thanks. I believe only the "I do backup of d:\data" is relevant
The problem here is again when the agent job runs on 2nd week, on Sat it does full backup and copies all 3 day files which is a duplicated data of other 2 day data.
just to clarify: the tape jobs are not relevant in the first moment, right? It's just about agent backups?

If you don't want to copy files again that are already in backup, then you need to change the backup mode to incremental forever. by doing that, it will not copy any file for a second time.
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=100 <- remove all checkboxes with "full backup"

maybe I still did not understand what you try to do - sorry in case I misunderstood you
sraj
Enthusiast

Post by sraj »

Production-Agent-Job-1
Server data to backup: D:\data of Server-1 - This folder is dumped with files on every day and holds 3 days data (backend scripts cleans up files older than 3 days)
Production-Agent-Job-1 - Source data: D:\data
Job Type: Windows File level backup
Retention Period: 21 restore points
Full backup: First time when the Job runs
Incremental Backup: All other schedule is Incremental which backups only new data of shared folder.

Production-Duplicate Job-1:
This is Already configured
Source data: every day data backup of Production-Job-1
Destination: Tape with media pool retention of 8 years

Requirement for me:
Production-Duplicate Job-2:
Source data: Any one of the day backup of Production-Job-1 for every week
Destination: Tape with media pool retention of 2 years
How do i configure this ?
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
if I understood you correctly, then your setup is not possible with Veeam. Because your "Production-Duplicate Job-1" requires "every data" and "Production-Agent-Job-1" is not allowed to create full backups.

It is not possible to write incremental backups to tape without creating full backups for an agent job. To be able to bring the incremental backups to tape, you need weekly (synthetic) full backups.

Best regards,
Hannes