WORM Tapes

Everything about backing up to tape

WORM Tapes

Veeam Logoby ICUDOUCME » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:23 pm

Have a large need to backup files to WORM media for compliance purposes. Is there anyone out there with any good suggestions on how to accomplish using WORM lto media with Veeam? Support is saying it currently does not work. We were using Commvault previous to Veeam and we need to replace the worm part of Commvault with something else as Commvault support is absurd. Any ideas/workarounds would be greatly appreciated.
ICUDOUCME
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Robert Wolff

Re: WORM Tapes

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:38 pm

Hello Robert,
I believe currently there is no workaround, but I will double check and let you know the results.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 479 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:02 am

Robert,
Honestly, we did not test the WORM media in our lab and so its behavior could be unpredictable. As soon as we get the ability to test it, we will let you know – but meanwhile the usage of the WORM tape media can be performed at your own risk.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby ICUDOUCME » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:40 pm

Yes I am already aware that they absolutely do not work currently. I am just wondering if anyone else has heard when they would start to work or if anyone else has even brought the issue up? Has this issue already been addressed? Is it on the roadmap? Or should I be looking elsewhere?
ICUDOUCME
Novice

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:24 pm

You are the first to bring this up since v7 was released, so we had no plans until you created this topic.
Did you actually try using them? What specifically do you mean by "they absolutely do not work currently". Do you have some errors?
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2411 times

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:28 am

Hello Robert,

We've been testing WORM tapes and the results are good so far - as backup/restore oprations work fine, so I wonder what did problem you find during your testing. Thank you.

*EDIT
Currently, we verified:
1. First Backup to Tape/File to Tape job run for WORM tape media works with no problems
2. Second backup to WORM tape media job run would end with success in GUI, however nothing would be added to tape (errors could be found in job logs) - this confirmed to be an issue
3. Restore from WORM tape media that was previously written by VBR works with no problems
4. “Mark As Free” works on WORM tape in VBR (media would be removed from VBR catalogue however nothing would be erased)
5. “Long Erase” would generate an error in GUI.
6. “Move to Free Media Pool” works on started WORM tape media

Thus, today Veeam B&R can only be used with WORM tape media in the following way:
A. Create specific media pool for WORM tapes with “Never Overwrite” retention and “create media set per backup session” option.
B. Combine files or backups in one Backup to Tape/File to Tape job to fix maximum WORM tape space.
C. Do not perform mark as free/run long erase or move WORM tapes to free media pool it would free media pool as it may produce impact on your original tape jobs.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:21 pm

We have also put in the feature request for full support of WORM tape media.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2411 times

Veeam Logoby Lyndag » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:39 pm

We also are in desperate need of full WORM support. We also have compliance issue that require it. We moved from Commvault to Veeam as well, and we really do not want to keep Commvault around just for the WORM ability. They are really really expensive.
Lyndag
Lurker

Full Name: Lynda Gilchrist

Veeam Logoby ICUDOUCME » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:11 pm

I will try the work around that you mentioned. But I was definitely seeing the jobs completed successfully error with nothing being backed up to tape. I will let you know my results. Thanks.
ICUDOUCME
Novice

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:18 pm

Robert,
But I was definitely seeing the jobs completed successfully error with nothing being backed up to tape.

That is expected when you try to run backup second time with the WORM tape.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Greg_Bieber » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:54 pm

Hello,

We have the same need and have tried to apply the configuration explained here, but the backup is so slow that we cannot work so.
Do you have any news about support and best practice to handle with Worms ?
Case # 00723384

Regards.
Greg_Bieber
Novice

Full Name: BIEBER Grégory

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:23 pm

Grégory,
Unfortunately, there is no update - WORM support was postponed.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby abstractreasoner » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:12 pm

Is there an ETA for WORM tape support? We currently don't have the option of migrating to Veeam without it.
abstractreasoner
Lurker

Full Name: John Carpenter

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:11 am

We cannot provide any ETA for that feature at the moment.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 1027 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:14 pm

John,

Just to clarify – you can use the WORM media with our tape service but in a limited way, as we do not support append to WORM tapes. Speaking of tape configuration the only possible way is to set up a separate WORM media pool with ‘create new media set per backup session’ (do not append) option and use never overwrite retention.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Next

Return to Tape