VAL on Linux Gentoo

Backup agent for Linux servers and workstations on-premises or in the public cloud

VAL on Linux Gentoo

Veeam Logoby levente18 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:48 pm

Hello,

I was wondering if there is any way to install VAL on a Linux Gentoo distribution. I have a few critical servers that need to be backed up and I'm getting tired of manually managing backups with tar. The convenience of VAL is amazing especially because I already run Veeam Backup and Replication. I couldn't find an installer for Gentoo and was wondering if there is a plan to develop it in the near future? Knowing the stability and the popularity of Gentoo, I'm sure others would benefit from it as well. If not is there a way to compile VAL from source on Gentoo? Or any other way to get it working? Even if it's not officially supported, I would be willing to try it.

Thanks,

Levi
levente18
Influencer

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Levi Ilyes

Re: VAL on Linux Gentoo

Veeam Logoby PTide » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:39 am

Hi and welcome to the community!

Have you already tried to compile kernel module from source (you can unpack veeamsnap rpm package to obtain sources)? If it works then please try to install veeam rpm package with el7 in its name. If that does not work we will try to provide you with a portage package.

P.S. Please also check this thread as it might be useful

Thanks
PTide
Veeam Software

Liked: 236 times

Veeam Logoby levente18 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:17 pm

Hello PTide,

Thanks very much for the quick response. I am not as comfortable compiling stuff from source and would probably need more guidance (like exact steps) if I go this route but I'm willing to try if that is the only way. However if you could provide a portage package that would be so awesome!

Thanks
levente18
Influencer

Veeam Logoby levente18 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:19 pm

Hello PTide,

I was wondering if you made some progress with the portage package. If not can you please provide some details on how to compile from source on gentoo? Also it is not clear how to obtain the source files. I have downloaded and extracted veeam-release-el7-1.0-1.x86_64 but am not sure which files are the actual source files.

Your help and guidance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
levente18
Influencer

Veeam Logoby PTide » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:38 pm

Hi,

I was wondering if you made some progress with the portage package.
Not yet, unfortunately. I hope that I'll be able to bring good news next week.

Thanks
PTide
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby levente18 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:40 pm

Thanks a lot! I really appreciate it! Looking forward to be the first Gentoo tester :)

Thanks,
levente18
Influencer

Veeam Logoby PTide » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:19 pm 2 people like this post

Hi,

First of all I have to warn you that the Agent has not been fully tested on Gentoo and support is provided via forum on the best effort basis.

Also please keep in mind that the installation procedure that is described further has been tried on a fresh minimal gentoo installation (kernel 4.4.39) and might be different for you particular system.

<<< USE AT YOUR OWN RISK AND RESPONSIBILTY! >>>

1. Download veeam and veeamsnap packages (PMed you the link) and place the packages into a dedicated directory on you gentoo server. Let it be /veeam directory, cd into it.

2. While in the /veeam directory, execute:

Code: Select all
rpmunpack veeamsnap-*

if it says "command not found" install rpm2targz package:

emerge -a app-arch/rpm2targz

3. Switch to the root directory of your source tree (in my case it was /usr/src/linux-4.4.39-gentoo), create a directory for veeamsnap kernel module, and copy content from /veeam/veeamsnap-1.0.0.944-1.noarch/usr/src:

cd /usr/src/linux-4.4.39-gentoo
mkdir drivers/veeamsnap
cp /veeam/veeamsnap-1.0.0.944-1.noarch/usr/src/veeamsnap-1.0.0.944/* drivers/veeamsnap

4. Execute:

make modules SUBDIRS=drivers/veeamsnap
make modules_install SUBDIRS=drivers/veeamsnap

Wait for it to finish, and try to load and check the module:

modprobe veeamsnap
lsmod | grep veeamsnap

If you see an output then everything is fine.

5. cd back to /veeam and unpack the veeam-1.0.0.944-1.el7.x86_64.rpm package:

cd /veeam
rpmunpack veeam-1*

Copy the content of the package into corresponding directories on your system:

cd veeam-1*
cp -r lib/* /lib/
cp -r etc/* /etc/
cp -r usr/* /usr/

Install fuse:

emerge -a sys-fs/fuse

6. start veeamservice daemon and try to start the UI:

/usr/sbin/veeamservice -d
veeam

Most likely it will tell you that it needs some shared libraries, in my case those were libpanel.so.5 and libncursesw.so.5.
Since we are using CentOS 7 rpm for installation you can simply copy those from some CentOS machine.

The described approach works smooth on a fresh minimal gentoo installation.

Please let me know if it works for you and should you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Thanks.
PTide
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby levente18 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:10 pm

Thank you very much! This is great! I will test it out ASAP and will let you know how it goes.
levente18
Influencer

Veeam Logoby levente18 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:00 am

Hello PTide,

I managed to successfully install the agent on a brand new Gentoo install just like you did. Your instructions were spot on and all worked as expected. I was able to create a file level backup job and ran it successfully using Veeam Backup and Replication repository. The backup showed up but I am unable to restore a folder from it using the B&R Console. Once the Helper device starts up and I select the folder to restore with overwrite option I get a pop up prompting me for credentials. The only credentials I have configured on the test server are the Root credentials. So I enter those but i get an error message stating that the connection was unsuccessful. Screenshot can be seen here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/livrkaklbl74rpi/VAL%20Restore%20Issue.JPG?dl=0

What credentials is it looking for? I have verified that network connectivity is there and SSH works to the test server.

I tried to install the agent on one of our production servers and was unsuccessful. Screenshot can be seen here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iykatscs9h9pode/VAL%20Install%20Issue.JPG?dl=0

Looks like veeamsnap is 32bit and our server doesn't support that. (Weird because I installed a 64bit Gentoo onto my test server as well and that gave me no issues). What can be done here?

Thanks for your help!
levente18
Influencer

Veeam Logoby PTide » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:38 am

So I enter those but i get an error message stating that the connection was unsuccessful
I assume that ssh server does not allow root login with password. Have you managed to login using root credentails via putty? If not then please check ssh server settings, you should be able to find those in /etc/ssh directory.

Looks like veeamsnap is 32bit and our server doesn't support that.
veeamsnap is distributed as a source code and does not depend on the architecture.

Please go into the directory where your have veeamsnap module sources and execute make all and send me the result. Also what version of gcc do you have on your production server?

Thanks
PTide
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby levente18 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:25 pm

Unfortunately SSH using root does work from my PC and from the server that runs Backup and Replication as well. I did a packet capture on my test server running VAL and you can access it here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hfxg1sonw66vxlt/VAL_restore_capture.pcap?dl=0

This shows a successful SSH connection from the server running Backup and Replication as well as the packets received when I try to do the restore and get the credentials error. Hope it helps.

As for the info requested from our production server, please find it here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zph6c1tsnv83f4h/GCC%20Version.JPG?dl=0

Thanks,
levente18
Influencer

Veeam Logoby PTide » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:28 pm

Unfortunately SSH using root does work from my PC
I believe you meant does not?

This shows a successful SSH connection from the server running Backup and Replication as well as the packets received when I try to do the restore and get the credentials error. Hope it helps.

Please check if you have the following line uncommented in /etc/ssh/sshd_config file on your test server:
PermitRootLogin yes

If "yes" value is not set, then set it and restart ssh server
/etc/init.d/sshd restart

Info about the production server that you've provided has been passed to development team. On more question - do you have /lib/modules/<your-kernel-version> directory in place? Also it's a Bicom Systems PBXware, isn't it? What's the exact version that you have?

Thank you!
PTide
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby ndum » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:29 am

Hello PTide

Could I perhaps also get the download link to the veeam and veeamsnap?
So we could test whether our gentoo-server could be backuped with VAL.

Thanks
ndum
Novice

Liked: never

Veeam Logoby vmniels » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:26 pm

You can download all files via https://www.veeam.com/linux-cloud-serve ... agent.html for several distro's including the required RPM's.
VCP-DCV
Veeam Certified Engineer
http://foonet.be
vmniels
Veeam Software

Liked: 319 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Veeam Logoby PTide » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:07 pm

@vmniels

That link will provide only repository RPM package which won't work on Gentoo out of the box.

@ndum

PMed you the link
PTide
Veeam Software

Next

Return to Veeam Agent for Linux