Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
UTW
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Dennis

2 questions concerning recovery media and backup schedule

Post by UTW »

Hi,

I have 2 questions about the agent. Maybe someone can help me optimizing the configuration

1.) I'm using an external hard disc as recovery medium AND backup location. The "Create Recovery Media"-Tool created 2 partitions on the disc (VEEAMRE as recovery medium and the rest of it as backup space). After updating the agent there was a warning that I have to create a new recovery medium for the actual version. When I select my external hard disc, BOTH partitions are deleted and so all backups are lost. Is there a way to optimize it? In my opinion it would be enough to replace the VEEAMRE-Partition, but how?

2.) I configured my backup job to react on the event "When backup target is connected" - so I can connect my hard drive whenever I want to create an incremental backup. Additionally I configured a periodically full backup (Monthly on first monday). This backup only works if I connect the drive exactly on this first monday of the month. If I connect it on the following tuesday, there is no full backup created. So the event is not catched up - is there a way to change it? In my case I had my last full backup in october 2017 and after that only incremental backups. I don't think, that this restore would be an "easy going procedure" :oops:

Thanks in advanve for your time/help

Best regards
Dennis
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: 2 questions concerning recovery media and backup schedul

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Denis,
UTW wrote: When I select my external hard disc, BOTH partitions are deleted and so all backups are lost. Is there a way to optimize it? In my opinion it would be enough to replace the VEEAMRE-Partition, but how?
It should warn you that your actual partitions are going to be deleted. In latest version this process is optimized (we can recreate recovery partition without formatting the whole drive).
UTW wrote: I configured my backup job to react on the event "When backup target is connected" - so I can connect my hard drive whenever I want to create an incremental backup. Additionally I configured a periodically full backup (Monthly on first monday). This backup only works if I connect the drive exactly on this first monday of the month. If I connect it on the following tuesday, there is no full backup created.
That's true. Active full backup relies on backup job schedule, so you miss the scheduled active full backup - it's not going to be created on the next day.
UTW
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Dennis

Re: 2 questions concerning recovery media and backup schedul

Post by UTW »

Hi Dmitry and thanks for your answer!
Dima P. wrote: It should warn you that your actual partitions are going to be deleted. In latest version this process is optimized (we can recreate recovery partition without formatting the whole drive).
Actually I'm using the version 2.1.0.423 (Free Edition) - it tells me, that the version is up to date. In which version there will be the optimized process?

EDIT: I'm sorry, in this version it works. There was no popup window anymore, that everything will be formatted. In the summarize-window I could read, that the usb disk (D, E) will be formatted but it just touched the boot partition. Perfect :!:
Dima P. wrote: That's true. Active full backup relies on backup job schedule, so you miss the scheduled active full backup - it's not going to be created on the next day.
I've read that in the licensed version there is a "cache" for backups when the target location is not present - would that solve my issue? Otherwise I'll have to make a reminder in my calendar to connect the hard disk on every first monday of the month :mrgreen: