Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
devore
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: JD

Adding folders to backup

Post by devore »

Hello,

I use EndPoint backup for a large amount of data on a desktop. I have it configured to backup particular folders as opposed to the entire computer.

My question is if I go into Configure Backup and add some more folders to the backup, will the backup add these incrementally, or will it start from scratch? I have many TB of data backed up so I would prefer it to just add them!

Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Adding folders to backup

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello,

Yes, it should be possible to run incremental pass for existing data and full backup for new folders.

Thank you!
majones
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Martin Jones

Post by majones »

I have added new partitions a backup that were then successfully included in the next increment. But having a large increment can create problems when it is merged into the full backup - specifically, the full backup has to grow by roughly the size of the increment before the increment is deleted, so there may be space problems; and it seems to me that VEB is quite slow to merge increments into the full backup (but this may be my setup where the backup disk is a USB, so reading and writing to it is slower than reading from the internal HDD and writing to the USB). So, it may be better to start with a new full backup.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

Hi,
the full backup has to grow by roughly the size of the increment before the increment is deleted
That's only partially correct. Full backup after-merge size increase may be equal to the size of an increment, however not in a 100% of cases. Increment contains not only new data blocks that are not present in a full backup, but also it contains changes that occurred to the existing data since the last backup.
but this may be my setup where the backup disk is a USB, so reading and writing to it is slower than reading from the internal HDD and writing to the USB
Correct, USB drive perform slower than internal HDD, however full backup won't be faster than increment, especially if you backup entire machine.

Thank you.