Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
SViktorik
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Sebastian Viktorik

Agent for Windows Backup hangs up

Post by SViktorik »

Hi all!

I am new to the Forum and to the Veeam Agent and hope that someone can help me with this problem.

I got the problem, that the Agent for Windows hangs up at 71% during the merge process with the message "Required backup infrastructure resources have been assigned". I attachhhed a photo from the log. Even if I let the backup run for 10h+ it doesnt progress further than 71%. I am encountering this for the second time now, three months ago exactly the same happened. That time I fixed it by creating a new backup job and running a new full backup.

Is there any way to prevent this from happening again?

Setup:
Windows 10 Desktop PC
Agent for Windows
Backup scope: whole PC, mostly pictures
Backup Target: direct attached USB3.0 HDD
Weekly full backups enabled
Support Case: 04534062

Best regards,
Sebastian
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Agent for Windows Backup hangs up

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Sebastian,

It is hard to guess, but I would suspect a destination disk fault.
Anyhow, let's see what support digs out of your logs.

/Thanks!
SViktorik
Novice

Post by SViktorik »

Hello Egor,

Thanks for your advice! Unfortunately the support case has been archived due to high support team load :(
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Oh, that unfortunate, but happens quite often in a free tier - our engineers are picking up cases there on best-effort basis without guarantee of reply.
I have checked the case and there weren't any logs attached, just pictures. You can try your luck again some time later - closer to holidays load usually lowers and you might get a higher chance there. Don't forget to attach logs straight away!

As for the problem itself, try running some diagnostics\stress test software on your target HDD(check S.M.A.R.T. metrics numbers etc) - I am quite sure about it being an object of primary interest.

/Cheers!
SViktorik
Novice

Post by SViktorik »

Checked the ext. HDD with the manufacturer test tool twice. "Unfortunatley" no faults were found. Opened another case and attached the logs.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Thanks for update.

Quick glance into the logs shows quite clear picture though, with pretty much no errors. Few notes:
- you are running outdated agent version, it is worth giving a shot on upgrade to 4.0.1.2169
- logs for December shows only a few runs(4/12 and 5/12), and all of them are cancelled by user. Biggest time "stuck at 71%" is 2 hours, not 10.
- I see you have 2*5.5TB disks, so it might take some time to merge full backup of 11TB.
- Merge is cancelled at Backup_********2020-08-15T184007.vbk file. Timestamp makes me feel it was taken back in August. I can also see 2*.vbk as oldest restore points, so if we are merging those two(read "2 full backups") that will surely take a while.

Having that said, please give agent time to merge and let job fail without help(read failure, timeout, or whatever it will be) for us to see it - otherwise it will be really hard to determine the root cause.

/Thanks!