Agent Upgrade Process - Need to be fixed!!!

Backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)

Agent Upgrade Process - Need to be fixed!!!

Veeam Logoby adb98 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:23 pm

The backup agent upgrade process has a nasty issue and not sure if it is a bug or if it is as designed. Either way they need to put wordage in the setup at the least when having the check mark for auto update client in a protection group. Here is the nasty issue I ran into.

I upgraded our main VBR server and proxies to the latest version yesterday morning. All was great and running ok. I come in this morning and half of my physical servers didn't backup last night and each of them state "Host Reboot required". WTH!!!!

I started going thru it and apparently the default for the protection groups is to check box " install agent automatically" and to "upgrade the agent automatically". Well that is fine if its not going to break my backups but it did. The protection groups did the once daily scan last night and saw hey I have an upgrade and upgraded but it requires a reboot in order to go thru and will no longer take backups until that is done. Then Veeam is just failing.

This is a very very very bad situation to be in. The worst part is we have one physical file server that is the main file share for 4 hospitals and is backed up every 2 hours. Now we are not getting any backups at all. Now we are scrambling and doing an emergency change (which directors have to approve and are asking why) and will be rebooting production servers into the night tonight in order resolve.

There needs to be some sort of logic to state. Hey I can't upgrade this automatically because it will break backups until a reboot is done. Even put a note (not recommended) and remove it from default setup for a protection group.
adb98
Enthusiast

Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Aaron B

Re: Agent Upgrade Process - Need to be fixed!!!

Veeam Logoby PTide » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:10 pm

Hi,

Thank you for bringing this up, your point has been fully understood. We will discuss that with the team internally and the thread will be updated accordingly with the resolution.

Thanks
PTide
Veeam Software

Liked: 336 times

Re: Agent Upgrade Process - Need to be fixed!!!

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:55 pm

Aaron,

Thank you for your post! To clarify, were these servers running agent with CBT driver installed?
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 570 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Return to Veeam Agent for Windows