Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
SR860
Novice
Liked: never

Backing Up a Specific SQL Database with VAW?

Post by SR860 »

I currently have a B&R 9.5 server that manages a Veeam for Windows agent (With a Server mode license installed for agents). Primarily my issue from the start with Veeam was dealing with a handful of VM's that have in guest iSCSI drives connected, those drives are NTFS formatted and were attached thru the Windows iSCSI initiator. One problem resolved, the agent for windows does allow me to backup in guest iSCSI volumes to the B&R repository. Next issue; Not sure if I am simply overlooking something but I have a physical server I would like to install the agent on to backup a specific SQL database. The server has one SQL 2008 R2 instance with a TON of databases attached. I simply want to use application aware processing to backup a single database (And truncate logs) that is attached to the SQL instance on this server. Is this possible? If so how? I see no way of selecting individual databases during the agent job setup wizard...

Thanks
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Backing Up a Specific SQL Database with VAW?

Post by Dima P. »

Hi SR860,

By default, VAW protects all DB on the computer. If you are willing to exclude several DBs or Instances you can use a regkey workaround described in this post
SR860
Novice

Post by SR860 »

Great! Thanks for the tip, I will give it a shot & I think it would work fine for excluding some of our databases. Is it possible to use a partial database name & a wildcard with this registry key?

So for example we have an SQL job that runs nightly that generates & attaches a new database & detaches the DB from the previous day. The name of the MDF/LDF files change daily but they always start with 'Database_Name_Date' so todays would be 'Database_Name_09_06_2017', tomorrows would be next sequential 'Database_Name_09_07_2017' and so on. What if we wanted to exclude all databases that start with 'Database_Name' regardless of the date?

Thanks
SR860
Novice

Post by SR860 »

Or if wildcards are not doable to exclude any databases starting with a specific name is there a registry key out there that can be used that allows you to specify ONLY the specific database (Or databases) you'd like to backup?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Is it possible to use a partial database name & a wildcard with this registry key?
Unfortunately, that won’t work. You have to specify the exact name of DB or Instance you would like to skip from processing.
SR860
Novice

Post by SR860 »

Has this functionality changed at all over the last couple of years? Currently running B&R 9.5 Update 4a.