Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
voyager529
Influencer
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Joey Famiglietti

Backing Up Endpoint to Cloud Gateway?

Post by voyager529 »

Hello everyone!

I work for an MSP that has a few clients looking to back up their workstations. Some of these clients are so small that having a server makes no sense to them. We're looking to use a combination of Cloud Connect and Endpoint Backup to provide offsite backup for these clients by directly pointing them to a server in our datacenter.

I installed VCC on a server in our datacenter, forwarded all of the ports listed in the user guide, and tried configuring VEB to connect to the VCC server, on every port I could think of, but I've never connected successfully. I called Veeam support, and while Veronica was *wonderful* to work with (seriously, give her a raise), she was of the persuasion that it was a VEB issue. I tried sending a support request from the software (as was required by the ticket portal), but that decided to error out for whatever reason. I thus sent an e-mail to support@, but haven't heard back.

Has anyone else configured these products successfully to handle the use case we're eyeballing?

Thanks,
Joey
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Backing Up Endpoint to Cloud Gateway?

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Joey,

I have heard of this being successful, but not to a VCC server, only to a standard B&R server and with the correct ports open. As far as I know and can think theoretically about this, it does not seem possible through a VCC gateway. And to be honest, the system is not build for that :-)

However, we are working on the next release, and we are gathering information (without promising anything) about scenario's such as yours. If you can, we would appreciate it if you can give us as much information as possible about your specific use-case(s). Are we talking about endpoints alone? Are you a VCC on your own premises or use a cloud provider? Are your clients mobile workers and so on...

thanks

Mike
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Backing Up Endpoint to Cloud Gateway?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, Mike is correct. Right now it is not possible to send backup directly to Cloud Connect repository, only via regular Veeam B&R server. BTW, since we are talking about both VEB and backup as a service, how do you configure these remote endpoints right now? Do you use any RMM tool?