Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
kaffeine
Enthusiast
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Espresso Doppio

[MERGED]Missing UI Elements (v4.0.1.2169)

Post by kaffeine »

Hello,

I installed the latest (free) Agent Version (at the moment of writing this post, v4.0.1.2169) on a Laptop with Windows 10 v2004, and the main Dashboard, were the progress bars from the last backups are usually shown, looks like this:

Oddly enough, the backup procedure seems to run without problems (the Backup files are created on the target folder and I see a green progress animation on the windows taskbar).

Has anyone faced a similar issue?

Best Regards
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

[MERGED] Missing UI Elements (v4.0.1.2169)

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Looks odd, please open a support ticket and share its ID here.
/Thanks!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

[MERGED] UI: Empty control panel issue

Post by Dima P. »

Hello kaffeine,

I've merged your post to the existing thread. Please take a look at the solution described in this post. Cheers!
kaffeine
Enthusiast

Post by kaffeine »

Hello Dmitry,

thanks for the heads up and the merge, but I'm afraid we're talking about different errors here.

This issue is occurring on a fresh deployed Windows 10 2004, installed on a new Dell Precision laptop. It is not feasible for me at the moment to perform a downgrade to 1909, and honestly that sounds like shooting down a bug with a massive bazooka :P

Like initially mentioned, the backup functionality is working, this seems to be somehow just a UI glitch. I took a look at the logs on C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Endpoint and found a bunch of UI.Tray-Admin.x.log files being crated at a crazy rate. There a total of 10 of these files, all truncated at 10MB, and with today's timestamp:

Sample: https://i.imgur.com/cb3G7vY.png

I'll try to create a ticket with Veeam support this week about this issue (currently dealing with other - non-veeam - support cases), and I'll post here an update.

Regards
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

kaffeine,

Thank you for the details, please share the case one you you have it.

P.S. The culture solution from KB article does not require a downgrade (works the same way for the latest 4.0.1). Cheers!
kaffeine
Enthusiast

Post by kaffeine »

Hello Dmitry,

it took a while, but a case was finally opened: #04437287

Regards
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software

Post by Egor Yakovlev » 1 person likes this post

Thanks for the case ID!

Logs are full of "Error 3072 (0x0c00) is an invalid culture identifier." so it is definitely an OS Culture issue as described above.
I see support engineer already picked your case, so stay tuned for an update from him. Meanwhile see if KB2302 helps.

/Cheers!
AndraZ
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Andraz Kopac

Post by AndraZ »

So reading this thread this issue is related to OS Culture and Veeam does not have a fix for this yet? It looks like many users should have this issue. Like every non US user with fresh Windows install...
I will not reinstall the system with 1909 for this. Request to change (and keep) OS Culture is also not really acceptable.
Backup jobs and restore jobs work anyway, only UI doesn't show history or progress.
I expect this to be fixed in upcoming versions... but since the kb2302 is from 2017, I'm a little worried. Please provide info on plans about this issue.
BR, Andraz
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software

Post by Egor Yakovlev » 1 person likes this post

Hi AndraZ,

The problem is mainly on a Microsoft side - we are running a query to find OS Culture used, and we receive said above error. Veeam Agent is built with .NET Framework, which requires correct Culture Identifier to be present for various things. Not much we could do here - ignoring Microsoft error and trying to draw UI parts anyway can lead to yet even more unexpected results(say, we detect DateTime in a wrong way, or output numeric results in an unexpected way). I am not sure which exact query is ran, but you can get same info using PowerShell:

Code: Select all

Get-Culture
or

Code: Select all

[System.Globalization.CultureInfo]([int]("0x" + (Get-WmiObject Win32_OperatingSystem).locale))
If Culture ID is invalid in the system, having a workaround in Veeam UI will not fix the root cause of the problem - and in the future you might get stuck with it again and again using other products.

I will discuss this whole story about Invalid Culture identifier and our UI parts with devs and see if we can somehow go around it without losing stability. As for the KB date and solution, it is still valid and you are free to use it - as a fact most cases are ruled out by just changing Format settings as said in the KB - no fresh install is needed. I will pass info to documentation team to review\update the valid products list in KB.

/Thanks!
AndraZ
Influencer

Re: UI: Empty control panel issue

Post by AndraZ »

I see, thank you for explanation Egor. I will try the kb2302 fix later, even though one user reported that it does not work on 2004 (post378982.html#p378982). I would think also that this fix will cause the clock change from 24h to am/pm after boot on welcome screen, as I noticed in my previous installation.

Before that here is a screenshot of some information that could be useful for you (and for me to change back correctly if needed). Commands above on my current user return "sl-SI". If I run it with system user (at least I hope, source: http://powershell-guru.com/powershell-t ... as-system/), I get "en-US" on first and "sl-SI" on second command. And also attached current welcome screen locale settings.
Screenshot: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Rs0rfX ... DBGyt/view
No error on PS, but possibly interesting locale combination of English (Slovenia) for Welcome screen format. That would be "en-SI" and I think this is rather new.

BR
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Thanks for update,

I will share your results with QA.

/Cheers!
AndraZ
Influencer

Post by AndraZ »

I can confirm that kb2302 worked also on Win10 version 2004. However, as predicted, this causes to display wrong clock format on my login screen. So I hope this is fixed some other way in the future.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Andraz,

You can change the settings after the required culture has been installed, it's not required to set it for the current account (we just need it to be present on the system). Cheers!
AndraZ
Influencer

Post by AndraZ »

I understand this. But even so, on computer booting, on welcome screen, there is a wrong format clock, because it is set to English (US). After login off course it changes to the right locale and correct format.
BR
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Andraz,

Here is a very detailed article how to change it: How to Change Lock Screen Clock to 12 hour or 24 hour Format in Windows 10. Let me know if that helps.