Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
NetAdMBC
Influencer
Liked: 2 times

backup not resetting archive attribute

Post by NetAdMBC »

Just testing out Endpoint Backup - have it installed on a 2008R2 file server, doing a nightly file-level backup of some user homedirectories. I took all defaults and am backing up to an SMB share on another server.

So far, two backups have run. If I go to the backup browser, I see a Full on Wednesday night, and an Incremental on Thursday - but when I import the Thursday restore point, it shows every file in those directories, and when I look at the attributes on the files right now, the archive bit is set, indicating the file needs to be backed up. That can't be right, can it? That bit should have been cleared on the Full, so that if the file wasn't subsequently changed, the Incremental backup would ignore it.

What am I missing her?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: backup not resetting archive attribute

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi,

It looks like it was running as it should. When opening the incremental restore point, you see ALL of the files that you can recover (so every file you have protected and that is visible somewhere at one of the restore points). We also use file modification dates to figure out what has changed

So for me it looks like it is doing his job :-)
ced@apg23.org
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: ced@apg23.org

Post by ced@apg23.org »

Hi, I've installed the software and performed some backup correctly, but i need to periodically build a list of archived files (in .txt format) for internal purpose. How can i do this without querying the archive flag?

Thanks in advance for the help you'll give me.

Cesare Cogliandro
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hey ced@apg23.org,

Unfortunately, there is no such functionality. May I ask why you need to build a list of the files included in the backup? Is it some kind of public share where docs change frequently? Thanks in advance.
ced@apg23.org
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: ced@apg23.org

Post by ced@apg23.org »

Simply, we need to delete those file after archiviation.

The top should be a backup program that:
- Makes backup (obviously :) )
- Changes archive attribute
- If asked, Verify backup
- then
if (not asked to verify) or (verified OK), runs a script.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

From the top of my head - create a script that deletes several subfolders inside the root folder – source for backup job. Add this script to task scheduler and start it only after successful backup based of the windows event (check the events tab in the endpoint’s help center). Such approach might do the trick, but it needs to be tested heavily before using it on a daily basis.