Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Beheer
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Beheer at Albron

Backup only last full VEP to tape

Post by Beheer »

Hello,

I'm having a hard time to make Veeam B&R backup to tape only the last full of any Endpoint backup.
If I check the (new in Veeam 9) "Process latest full backup chain only" option in the backup to tape job, nothing is backed up.
If I uncheck it, I get two files backed up, the same as in Veeam 8.
One file is the last backup file of the Endpoint job (the reverse incremental full file), the second file is probably built as the tape job starts.
In the joblog I see:

Code: Select all

12-4-2016 16:37:02 :: Full backup from Backup Job NETBACKUP-012016-04-09T120547.vib (9-4-2016 00:00:00) restore point will be placed to media set 
12-4-2016 16:37:02 :: New Backup Job NETBACKUP-012016-03-28T120518.vbk restore point will be placed to media set  
The first file is the actual backup file, the second one is created by the tape job I think, it's gone after the tape job finishes.
I don't want two fulls on tape, especially because one is almost 2 TB and now takes 20 hours to backup (double) instead of 10 hours.
We run the latest Veeam 9 and Endpoint backup versions.
Is there a way to make this work?
Regards,
Han
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Backup only last full VEP to tape

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Han,

VEB runs in forever incremental backup mode. To make this work you need to:

- Check the box process only latest full backup chain
- Configure the synthesized full backup to be created at the desired day
- Schedule the tape job to start at the desired day

P.S. Make sure your VBR is fully pathed with Update 1.
Beheer
Influencer
Full Name: Beheer at Albron

Post by Beheer »

Hello Dima,

So if I understand right, all changes need to be made in B&R.
I remember from the previous monthly backups that the tape job processed the last full (reverse incremental) file and a self-created synthesized full, so also double.
So with checking the "Process only lates..." it will only put a synthesized full on tape.
I suppose the "synthesized full" to be scheduled is under Full backup, the Schedule button, and then it is called virtual full there?

We run update 1 already because I didn't like the new version 9 feature that I could only export 5 tapes instead of 18 and had to reboot in between to carry on...
dib
Enthusiast

[MERGED] Proccess latest full backup chain only

Post by dib »

Hi

Does anybody know how the setting "Proccess latest full backup chain only" on tape job, affect Endpoint backup which uses B&R repository.

Will the tape job create a synthetic full to tape for the Endpoint backups, as it does when this setting is disabled

Dennis
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Dennis,
Since VEB works in forever incremental mode, B&R will create a synthetic full on tape.
What is your goal by the way?
Thanks!
dib
Enthusiast

Post by dib »

We had to enable this feature, because we had some trouble with our tape job so that multiple full backup were not send to tape. So vi have multiple full backup from severeal weekends, that was going to tape, but didn't have the capacity in our tape station, therefor we only wanted the latest full backup to tape.

Hope this makes sense.

Dennis
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Thanks for explanation Dennis,
Indeed the feature makes sense for you in this case. You can also decrease protection period to rotate tapes more often.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi,

Confirmed. Backup latest full to tape should work in conjunction with VEB backups without any issues. Synthesized full backup (check in Tape Job> Full backup > Schedule control) will be counted as a last backup in the chain. Define the proper schedule for synthesized full creation and disable backup of incremental restore points, if needed, and you are good to go.

P.S. Make sure you are up to date with latest Update 2