Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
AdrianL
Veeam Software
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Adrian Lowe

Backup schedule options for laptop

Post by AdrianL »

Hello All,

Maybe be a silly question but if I installed VAW on to a laptop and have the schedule set for say 18:00 every evening... what would happen if the laptop was turned off during this time?

I know if the laptop was on AND the internet connection was lost - it would simply just cache the backup and would backup when the connection get established.

However if the laptop is turned off during the scheduled backup... will the schedule just auto kick off when the laptop is next turned on or will it skip that backup and just run the next time the system is on during the scheduled time?

Would you suggest a different setup i.e using VAW with the server license using continue backup schedule? (the server license seems a bit over kill) or just schedule the backup when the user is more than likely to be on i.e. lunchtimes? albeit it this difficult to know with remote laptop users.

Many thanks in advance,
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Backup schedule options for laptop

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Hello Adrian,
Maybe be a silly question but if I installed VAW on to a laptop and have the schedule set for say 18:00 every evening... what would happen if the laptop was turned off during this time?
Veeam Agent can take a backup right after the computer is turned on but you need to have the Backup once powered on option enabled at the job scheduling step.
cache the backup and would backup when the connection get established
Also possible. We have an option called Backup Cache, when it's enabled you can store the backup files locally and sync them up later when connection to the repository is established.
Would you suggest a different setup i.e using VAW with the server license using continue backup schedule?
Mentioned options should help you to achieve your goal, so I think server version is not required. Please let me know if that helps, thank you!
AdrianL
Veeam Software

Post by AdrianL »

Hello Dima,

Thank you for a prompot response. This helps massively. So either way the laptop will remain safely backed up if the correct configurations are applied even if the laptop is turned off during the "scheduled backup" time :)

Thats great news :)

Thanks again.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Well, Veeam Agent for Windows can’t take the backup when computer is off, the best we can do is to trigger the backup to start right after it's powered on :)
AdrianL
Veeam Software

Post by AdrianL »

ha indeed :D thank you for the prompt response.