Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
nvetrano
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Neil

Backup Seeding Feature Request

Post by nvetrano »

I am using Endpoint to backup a server in a remote location with a rather small pipe. Veeam Endpoint failed on the first few days as I believe the process was getting interrupted, and likely stalling for bandwidth throttling. (This was a rather small drive too) It would have been nice to be able to run a backup to removable media, copy to our "repository" server, and then configure the Endpoint to continue using that seed for incremental backups.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1262 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Backup Seeding Feature Request

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Neil,

I understand your request, but I don't have an answer for you at this moment. I believe this might be even possible at this moment when you "move" the backups to another location and then point VEB to that new location, but not 100% sure about it.

I'll try to find out if this scenario is tested and if tested, what the procedure is next week.

Thanks

Mike
InfraDMS
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by InfraDMS »

Was there an update to this thread?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1566 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello guys,
That’s not going to work in v1 – a new backup chain is started once you change backup target to VBR repository.

From RN: Backup file mapping is not supported for backup files created in locations other than Veeam backup repository
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2709 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, but if you target your backup job to the Veeam backup repository in the first place, then moving this repository (as a seed) to another location should not affect your Veeam Endpoint job.
huntermaz
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Nathaniel Grayson

[MERGED] Seed First Backup

Post by huntermaz »

Testing out Endpoint, we want to backup a workstation to our Veeam repository but it is over a WAN connection. Right now 45 minutes into the backup it is only 3% done. Is there a way to backup the workstation locally to removable media, then sneaker net it to the veeam server and drop it into the repository?
JaxIsland7575
Veteran
Liked: 107 times
Full Name: Ryan Jacksland

Re: Seed First Backup

Post by JaxIsland7575 »

If you created the job in VEB and connected it to VBR, then I assume you could Import the backup into the repository using the Import feature in VBR. That is my assumption as I have not tested it.
VMCE v9
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Re: Seed First Backup

Post by Mike Resseler » 1 person likes this post

Nathaniel,

Unfortunately, that is something that doesn't work at this moment. If you would take the backup to a removable device, then move it to a shared folder and reconfigure the backup... that would work. But it doesn't work when moving it to a B&R environment. Moving in between B&R repositories does work (with the mentioned reconfigure of the backup wizard).

If I am not mistaken, this is under investigation as you are not the first one that requested this

Mike
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi guys,
Mike is right – we have this under investigation and want to get this behavior corrected in the upcoming releases.
bthai
Novice

Post by bthai »

I see that VEB 1.1 was released this month. any update on the VEB seeding issue when switching from local/shared folder to VBR repository? Seems like if we were able to do the mapping, that would resolve the issue.
Thank you
bthai
Novice

Post by bthai »

Are there any plans to add email notifications into VEB? If that feature were available, I wouldn't need to backup to a B&R repository anymore and I could just reconfigure the destination to the new share folder path after transporting the seed .vbk file via sneakernet.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2709 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Currently, email notifications should be done via VBR console. As far as I know there are no immediate plans to add this capability into VEB directly.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 720 times

Post by PTide »

bthai wrote:Are there any plans to add email notifications into VEB? If that feature were available, I wouldn't need to backup to a B&R repository anymore and I could just reconfigure the destination to the new share folder path after transporting the seed .vbk file via sneakernet.
Even though there is no way to do that "out of the box" there is a workaround, please take a look at this thread.

Thanks!
joel0920
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Jonny Elvelin

[MERGED] Precopy to USB disk

Post by joel0920 »

I want to use the endpoint backup and send the offsite computers to the central unit with veeam B&R and NAS storage.
Can i precopy to usb disk and then move the backup to central location as i will do with servers?

for example i will go to the office and precopy 10 user computers, bring back the usb disk and copy the 10 backups to NAS
and the local clients will only have to transfer the changes over communication lines.

/Jonny
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Jonny,
for example i will go to the office and precopy 10 user computers, bring back the usb disk and copy the 10 backups to NAS
and the local clients will only have to transfer the changes over communication lines.
If you are going to change the backup destination from USB to NAS (file share) then yes - that would work
aaron@ARB
Expert
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: ARBCorporationPtyLtd

Post by aaron@ARB »

I know this is an old thread but it is pertinent... I too would like to be able to seed VEB backups into a VBR repository. The reason is pretty clear, I have a physical server with a relatively slow comms link but a lot of data. There isn't a backup window that will allow me to transfer 400gb over this link to my VBR repo. I would like to 'seed' / 'stage' this backup to a USB drive, have it FEDEX'd from Prague,CZ to Melbourne,AU and then import it so when the backup runs again, it runs as an incremental as opposed to another full
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi aaron@ARB,

If you are referring to mapping VEB backup created locally to the VEB job pointed to the repository - it’s possible since version 1.5. Move the folder with VEB backup to the repository, reconfigure VEB job and hit Rescan on the repository. VEB job should continue the backup chain.

Backup copy mapping is currently not supported but coming soon.
aaron@ARB
Expert

Post by aaron@ARB »

hi Dima... Thanks for the update, I will test it. I had tried it earlier, but I imported the backup via the import option as opposed to copy the files in via the 'back door' so to speak.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

You are welcome! Let us know how it goes.
aaron@ARB
Expert

Post by aaron@ARB »

I tried this over the weekend.. I took the backup folder from the server in question (had it freighted over to me) copied to the respository and re-scanned the repository. It showed up under 'imported'

and then when i ran the backup it still tried to do a full backup as when I check the log:

Code: Select all

Setting repository 'F-Drive' ('ec767f5b-da53-4793-961a-adacf26b79be') credentials for backup client.
[12.04.2016 09:16:55] <01> Info     Setting repository 'F-Drive' ('ec767f5b-da53-4793-961a-adacf26b79be') credentials for backup client.
[12.04.2016 09:16:55] <01> Info     [BackupTargetEpRepairAlg] Repair started
[12.04.2016 09:16:55] <01> Info     [LocalBackupTargetRepairAlg] Repair started
[12.04.2016 09:16:55] <01> Info     Job session is running in full mode
[12.04.2016 09:16:55] <01> Info     [BackupMeta] Generate backup meta for 'Backup Job SADC1:2d0dd029-42ce-4f1d-86cc-69ebdd3c247d'
[12.04.2016 09:16:56] <01> Info     [BackupMeta] Backup meta for 'Backup Job SADC1:2d0dd029-42ce-4f1d-86cc-69ebdd3c247d' generated
[12.04.2016 09:16:56] <01> Info     Preparing point in full mode
[12.04.2016 09:16:56] <01> Info     [CPoint] Creating point id=26b8cb26-c0db-4c44-9a57-f1b849fbb7b5:type=Basic:alg=Full:creation_time=12/04/2016 9:16:56 AM
[12.04.2016 09:16:57] <01> Info     Getting last storage in group: e5aca6b7-e366-4866-9728-ddb699dd051a
[12.04.2016 09:16:57] <01> Info     Last storage not found
[12.04.2016 09:16:57] <01> Info     Preparing storages in full mode
[12.04.2016 09:16:58] <01> Info     Disposing CBackupRepositoryClient [0x202a09c]
[12.04.2016 09:16:58] <01> Info     Disposing CBackupClient [0x217a57c]
[12.04.2016 09:16:58] <01> Info             [AP] Disposing client from thread 1
[12.04.2016 09:16:58] <01> Info     Disposing BaseAgentProtocol [0x2d4d161]
[12.04.2016 09:16:58] <01> Info     Disposing CSocketAgentService [0x17b5c6a], sessionId [944c]
Is there anything I am doing wrong?
hyvokar
Veteran
Liked: 29 times

Post by hyvokar »

I have a similar problen. I have a physical server with 1TB data. I have backed it up with VEP 1.5 to VBR repository.
I have a very limited wan-link, so I made a backup copy job targetted to USB drive and shipped it to Cloud Provider (which also happens to me...).
Now I have copied the data to our vcp repository, but when I'm creating Backup Copy job From veeam endpoint backups, I have no "map backup" available in the "Target" page. How can I seed the backup for cloud repository?
Bed?! Beds for sleepy people! Lets get a kebab and go to a disco!
MS MCSA, MCITP, MCTS, MCP
VMWare VCP5-DCV
Veeam VMCE
hyvokar
Veteran

Post by hyvokar »

aaron@ARB wrote:I tried this over the weekend.. I took the backup folder from the server in question (had it freighted over to me) copied to the respository and re-scanned the repository. It showed up under 'imported'
Is there anything I am doing wrong?
Hi!

Did you map the backup from the target page? Select corret repository, click map backup, and select the correct backup to map.
VMWare VCP5-DCV
Veeam VMCE
aaron@ARB
Expert

Post by aaron@ARB »

I don't use a backup copy job?? I think you have pasted my comments in but are referring to the previous post as opposed to mine?

What is the agreed process for seeding backups? it is described above in broad strokes but having tried that it has not worked, is there any expanded instructions on how to make this function work?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Guys,

Once backup was imported to the VBR console and VEB job was reconfigured to the VBR repository backup should be mapped to the job during first run. If that’s not working – please open a support case. Do not forget to port the ID to this thread. Thanks.

P.S. Mapping VEB backups to backup copy job is currently not supported – it should work only for regular VEB job.
aaron@ARB
Expert

Post by aaron@ARB »

Dima, refer below for my case ID: 01760248
hyvokar
Veteran

Post by hyvokar »

Dima P. wrote:P.S. Mapping VEB backups to backup copy job is currently not supported – it should work only for regular VEB job.
This is a bit of a problem, since I cannot connect VEB directly to cloud service repository.
VMWare VCP5-DCV
Veeam VMCE
aaron@ARB
Expert

Post by aaron@ARB »

Any update on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Aaron,

Not sure. I will ask for more information on the support ID

Thanks

Mike
aaron@ARB
Expert

Post by aaron@ARB »

Mike Resseler wrote:Aaron,

Not sure. I will ask for more information on the support ID

Thanks

Mike
Thanks for that. I appreciate it :)
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Aaron,

Not sure if you have received an update already, but I have been informed that the reason it doesn't work for you is because you are trying this with VBR 8.x and we only started to support this in VBR 9.x

Can you confirm?

Thanks

Mike