Backup Seeding Feature Request

Backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)

Backup Seeding Feature Request

Veeam Logoby nvetrano » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:44 pm

I am using Endpoint to backup a server in a remote location with a rather small pipe. Veeam Endpoint failed on the first few days as I believe the process was getting interrupted, and likely stalling for bandwidth throttling. (This was a rather small drive too) It would have been nice to be able to run a backup to removable media, copy to our "repository" server, and then configure the Endpoint to continue using that seed for incremental backups.
nvetrano
Influencer

Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Neil

Re: Backup Seeding Feature Request

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:53 am

Hi Neil,

I understand your request, but I don't have an answer for you at this moment. I believe this might be even possible at this moment when you "move" the backups to another location and then point VEB to that new location, but not 100% sure about it.

I'll try to find out if this scenario is tested and if tested, what the procedure is next week.

Thanks

Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Liked: 390 times
Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Veeam Logoby InfraDMS » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:35 am

Was there an update to this thread?
InfraDMS
Lurker

Liked: never

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:25 pm

Hello guys,
That’s not going to work in v1 – a new backup chain is started once you change backup target to VBR repository.

From RN: Backup file mapping is not supported for backup files created in locations other than Veeam backup repository
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 482 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:20 pm

Yes, but if you target your backup job to the Veeam backup repository in the first place, then moving this repository (as a seed) to another location should not affect your Veeam Endpoint job.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1157 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

[MERGED] Seed First Backup

Veeam Logoby huntermaz » Fri May 01, 2015 6:28 pm

Testing out Endpoint, we want to backup a workstation to our Veeam repository but it is over a WAN connection. Right now 45 minutes into the backup it is only 3% done. Is there a way to backup the workstation locally to removable media, then sneaker net it to the veeam server and drop it into the repository?
huntermaz
Influencer

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Nathaniel Grayson

Re: Seed First Backup

Veeam Logoby JaxIsland7575 » Fri May 01, 2015 6:59 pm

If you created the job in VEB and connected it to VBR, then I assume you could Import the backup into the repository using the Import feature in VBR. That is my assumption as I have not tested it.
VMCE v9
JaxIsland7575
Veeam Vanguard

Liked: 98 times
Full Name: Ryan Jacksland

Re: Seed First Backup

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Sat May 02, 2015 5:27 am 1 person likes this post

Nathaniel,

Unfortunately, that is something that doesn't work at this moment. If you would take the backup to a removable device, then move it to a shared folder and reconfigure the backup... that would work. But it doesn't work when moving it to a B&R environment. Moving in between B&R repositories does work (with the mentioned reconfigure of the backup wizard).

If I am not mistaken, this is under investigation as you are not the first one that requested this

Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Liked: 390 times
Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Sun May 03, 2015 12:28 am

Hi guys,
Mike is right – we have this under investigation and want to get this behavior corrected in the upcoming releases.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby bthai » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:53 am

I see that VEB 1.1 was released this month. any update on the VEB seeding issue when switching from local/shared folder to VBR repository? Seems like if we were able to do the mapping, that would resolve the issue.
Thank you
bthai
Novice

Veeam Logoby bthai » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:03 pm

Are there any plans to add email notifications into VEB? If that feature were available, I wouldn't need to backup to a B&R repository anymore and I could just reconfigure the destination to the new share folder path after transporting the seed .vbk file via sneakernet.
bthai
Novice

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:35 pm

Currently, email notifications should be done via VBR console. As far as I know there are no immediate plans to add this capability into VEB directly.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1157 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby PTide » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:51 pm

bthai wrote:Are there any plans to add email notifications into VEB? If that feature were available, I wouldn't need to backup to a B&R repository anymore and I could just reconfigure the destination to the new share folder path after transporting the seed .vbk file via sneakernet.
Even though there is no way to do that "out of the box" there is a workaround, please take a look at this thread.

Thanks!
PTide
Veeam Software

Liked: 274 times

[MERGED] Precopy to USB disk

Veeam Logoby joel0920 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:21 am

I want to use the endpoint backup and send the offsite computers to the central unit with veeam B&R and NAS storage.
Can i precopy to usb disk and then move the backup to central location as i will do with servers?

for example i will go to the office and precopy 10 user computers, bring back the usb disk and copy the 10 backups to NAS
and the local clients will only have to transfer the changes over communication lines.

/Jonny
joel0920
Novice

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Jonny Elvelin

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:19 pm

Hi Jonny,
for example i will go to the office and precopy 10 user computers, bring back the usb disk and copy the 10 backups to NAS
and the local clients will only have to transfer the changes over communication lines.

If you are going to change the backup destination from USB to NAS (file share) then yes - that would work
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Next

Return to Veeam Agent for Windows