Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
goose_ws
Influencer
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: goose

Backup target across WAN

Post by goose_ws »

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I'm hoping for some direction, and this thread is relevant enough that I'd prefer to post here rather than make a new one.

I'm using the free Veeam Agent for Windows on a few of my personal devices. Rather than backing up to my home server over Samba, I want to set up a backup repository on a remote server. It's a WAN target, so I won't be able to assign my destination as local storage, and I do not want to use Samba over WAN.

Is there any solution to using a remote Linux box as a backup target across WAN for Veeam? B&R, or otherwise?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Roadmap for Veeam B&R on linux?

Post by Mildur »

With vbr, you need a vpn connection.
For the free agent, i don’t see any solutions to backup data over WAN. A VPN or Veeam Cloud Connect (this is a paid solution, not available for free) is necessary.

I think, your issue has nothing todo with the main request in this topic :)
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: Backup target across WAN

Post by Gostev »

Indeed :D or even with the sub-forum, for that matter. Let me fix that!
goose_ws
Influencer
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: goose

Post by goose_ws »

Got it.

If I were to get a VB&R host, would I be able to interface with it directly over WAN? Or would it require a VPN? Would I be able to communicate encrypted traffic between the agent and VB&R over WAN without a VPN?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

agent and VB&R over WAN
This would be encrypted, but it will not work.

Agent to VBR needs a VPN or you need to be a cloud Service Provider with Veeam Cloud Connect to use it without a vpn.
You will find here a discussion/feature request with some unsupported workarounds here:
veeam-agent-for-windows-f33/featurerequ ... 51473.html

And from the guide about the vpn requirement:

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110
Veeam Agent should be able to establish a direct IP connection to the Veeam Backup & Replication server. Thus, Veeam Agent cannot work with Veeam Backup & Replication that is located behind the NAT gateway.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
a-tome
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Jan Levin

Post by a-tome »

If you have a local VB&R server you can create remote backup repositories. The remote system will need to be able to have some Veeam components installed, so I suspect that Linux will not work. The only other option is to share the storage on the remote server, but that takes you back to CIFS or NFS. You could also create a VM on the remote Linux machine that runs Windows, and let VB&R communicate with it.