Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Andrew.Meyer
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Andrew D Meyer

Backup to Veeam Repository - Branch Office

Post by Andrew.Meyer »

I see that at GA, we'll be able to select a Veeam repository as the destination for VEB jobs.

If my branch office has a few desktops and I put a NAS device out there, then add that NAS as a Veeam repository and configure the desktops to write to that Veeam repository... Will those desktops write directly to the NAS or will they try to send data over the WAN to be processed by the Veeam server, and then sent back over the WAN to the branch NAS?

Or would I be better off just configuring each desktop to write directly to a NAS share instead of adding the NAS as a Veeam repository?

Will I lose any functionality or insights into VEB job status by taking the second route?

Thanks,
Andy
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Backup to Veeam Repository - Branch Office

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Andy,

They will be send directly to the repository, without data travelling to the backup server. I would recommend using Veeam repository (first route) as a destination target, as in this case you will be able to manage these backups from the backup console.

Thanks!