Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
BackupBytesTim
Service Provider
Liked: 57 times
Full Name: Tim

Backup When Target CC Repo Connected

Post by BackupBytesTim »

The Backup when target is connected option in the schedule for a backup job does not seem to function when the backup target is a CC repository, is that correct, or may I be having a different issue?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Backup When Target CC Repo Connected

Post by Mildur »

Hi Tim

Cloud Connect repositories are supported for this option. There might be another issue affecting the job start.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
BackupBytesTim
Service Provider

Post by BackupBytesTim »

To test the behavior, does the setting to control how often backups are done with that feature count successful backups or when the last job attempted to run? That is, if it's set to no more often than every 12 hours, and the last backup job ran 6 hours ago, but failed, would it still attempt to run when the target is connected?

Also, if the application is not running, and then it starts, does it check this and run accordingly? Or does it only run if the backup agent is running, and then the target is connected after it's already running?

That is, if I restart the computer or just the backup service, will that trigger it? Or does it need to be running with the target disconnected, then the target become connected after it's already running?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Hi Tim
To test the behavior, does the setting to control how often backups are done with that feature count successful backups or when the last job attempted to run? That is, if it's set to no more often than every 12 hours, and the last backup job ran 6 hours ago, but failed, would it still attempt to run when the target is connected?
Yes, it should. Let me check that for you in my lab and come back to you.
Also, if the application is not running, and then it starts, does it check this and run accordingly?
The Veeam agent service is responsible to coordinate backup job sessions.

Please allow me some time to gather the other requested information. I will come back next week with an update.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
BackupBytesTim
Service Provider

Post by BackupBytesTim »

Let me know what you find, regarding the application starting, the Veeam agent service, what I mean is if the computer is online. The Veeam Backup Agent service is running. If I were to restart the service, or if the service is not running and I start it, will that trigger Veeam to check if a target is connected and check the last backup time, and then backup if it's been longer than the specified time and the backup target is connected? If not, under what conditions does it check? Is it something else like when a network connection changes, or when the computer wakes from sleep, or does it just check on a regular time interval?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Tim,
The Backup when target is connected option in the schedule for a backup job does not seem to function when the backup target is a CC repository, is that correct, or may I be having a different issue?
It works for all remote targets.
does the setting to control how often backups are done with that feature count successful backups or when the last job attempted to run?
No it does not. It's a trigged to start the job, you can limit the frequency in the 'Back up no more often than every X' option.
if it's set to no more often than every 12 hours, and the last backup job ran 6 hours ago, but failed, would it still attempt to run when the target is connected?
Does not track the state of the previous backup.
if the application is not running, and then it starts, does it check this and run accordingly?
Yes.
Or does it only run if the backup agent is running, and then the target is connected after it's already running?
Backup cannot be performed if the agent is not running, but inactive time counts since we rely on the machine's system time.
if I restart the computer or just the backup service, will that trigger it?
No it does not affect the 'Back up no more often than every X' time counter.
Or does it need to be running with the target disconnected, then the target become connected after it's already running?
We check the connectivity of the remote destination first, mainly we rely on the network accessibility. When agent realizes that repository is connected it performs the check of the previous job start, if the job start was not performed within the time window set in 'Back up no more often than every X' we wont start the job.

The easiest way to test it:

1. To point Veeam Agent for Windows to a Veeam Cloud Connect or Veeam Backup Repository.
2. Enable 'When backup target is connected' event in the job settings and set 'Back up no more often than every X' to several minutes.
3. Save job settings, disable your network adapter, wait for X+1 minutes enable the network adapter back.
BackupBytesTim
Service Provider

Post by BackupBytesTim »

We check the connectivity of the remote destination first
When does it check though? Is the actual check for connectivity triggered by the agent starting up? Does it check after every minute or something?
Does not track the state of the previous backup.
Does that mean it checks only to see if there is a completed restore point within the last however much time, or does that mean that any attempt to backup, successful or not, within the period of time would prevent it from trying again?
That is, if we have a successful, completed restore point 30 hours ago, a job ran and failed 6 hours ago, the setting is "no more often than every 12 hours". The computer powers on and connects to the internet, the target repository is accessible. Should it run the backup, since it's been 30 hours since the last successful backup? Or will it not run the backup, since it's only been 6 hours since the last attempt, even though that attempt failed?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Tim,
Does it check after every minute or something?
Yes, it's periodically within the Veeam Agent for Windows process / service.
Does that mean it checks only to see if there is a completed restore point within the last however much time, or does that mean that any attempt to backup, successful or not, within the period of time would prevent it from trying again?
It's based on the previous job run.
That is, if we have a successful, completed restore point 30 hours ago, a job ran and failed 6 hours ago, the setting is "no more often than every 12 hours". The computer powers on and connects to the internet, the target repository is accessible. Should it run the backup, since it's been 30 hours since the last successful backup? Or will it not run the backup, since it's only been 6 hours since the last attempt, even though that attempt failed?
The backup job will be stated in 6 hours since the last job run was performed 12 hours ago.
BackupBytesTim
Service Provider

Post by BackupBytesTim »

Okay, that makes sense.

So, based on that it seems that if I set a computer to backup daily at 8:00 PM, set the "When backup target is connected" setting to "Backup no more often than every: 10 minutes" that would effectively try a backup every 10 minutes until it completes. Such as this scenario:

Computer tries to backup at 8:00 PM, fails. Retries automatically every 10 minutes until it restarts, which cancels any retrying behavior. Then, within 10 minutes of the computer powering on and reconnecting to the internet, it should try again because of the "When backup target is connected" setting, and continue trying again every 10 minutes.

And if the computer does eventually finish a backup successfully, it will stop trying until the next scheduled backup time at 8:00 PM.

Does that sound accurate?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Almost right: since the event for the backup will be connectivity to the network / repository next backup can be initiated earlier if the network state changes. Simply put if you connect / disconnect network every 10 minutes - you will get backup job running every 10 minutes.
BackupBytesTim
Service Provider

Post by BackupBytesTim »

So (to make sure I understand because my initial test didn't seem to do what I thought) if the computer is connected, then backup runs on schedule, then computer disconnects for 10 minutes, then reconnects, the backup will run because the network was disconnected and then reconnected and it's been at least 10 minutes since the last backup?

But if the computer stays connected the entire time and never disconnects, it will NOT run a backup 10 minutes later, because the network was never disconnected?

That sounds like what I originally thought it would do before I started to ask questions about it, but my original goal was to find a way for this to initiate a backup when the computer powers on, which it sounds like wouldn't happen since the Veeam agent wouldn't have seen the network go offline.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Tim,

Yup, now it sound right!
That sounds like what I originally thought it would do before I started to ask questions about it, but my original goal was to find a way for this to initiate a backup when the computer powers on, which it sounds like wouldn't happen since the Veeam agent wouldn't have seen the network go offline
As a possible workaround: Veeam Agent for Windows can start the backup job via the command line and you have a Windows Task Scheduler which can trigger the command line when someone logs in or machine starts. Feels like you can start a job via a task scheduler to achieve this goal.
BackupBytesTim
Service Provider

Post by BackupBytesTim »

I had that same idea, basically use the a Scheduled Task to run a PowerShell script that waits like 5 minutes after the computer starts up, checks for internet connectivity, then starts a job. However that's not ideal in my opinion since there's no cohesive way to remotely manage that and it would definitely qualify as another "workaround", but to be completely honest, I'm tired of all the workarounds and tweaks needed to actually get backups completed. So I'm trying to come up with something more integrated. If I have to start writing scripts to actually make the backups happen for customers it seems like I might as well just write a script to copy the files off the computer myself instead of using Veeam at all.

Good to have the "When target connected" feature fully clarified though. Unfortunately it doesn't actually help resolve the issues I'm having though.