Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
beratcakirca
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Berat Cakirca

backup window or disabling retry for workstation backup with agent

Post by beratcakirca »

Hi,

Is there a way to define a backup window for workstation backups with agent? Customer simply wants agent not to try again if a cycle is interrupted and to have a control over job start and stop time like backup window option. I believe this option is available for managed by backup server jobs, but what can we do for jobs managed by agent for workstations?

Thanks.
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: backup window or disabling retry for workstation backup with agent

Post by wishr »

Hi Berat,

Workstation edition does not allow that. Such options are only available in the Server edition, that, of course, could be used to back up workstations.

Thanks
beratcakirca
Service Provider

Post by beratcakirca »

So you mean treating workstation (Win 10) as server, like it has permanent connection all the time is ok in order to have retry options available?

Regards.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 680 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev » 1 person likes this post

Hi,
wants agent not to try again if a cycle is interrupted
That is default behavior. Veeam Agent Workstation edition will not retry failed backup until next scheduled cycle.
to have a control over job start and stop time
Start time is controlled by Workstation Agent policy schedule just fine. You define when job suppose to kicks in. However, since it is Workstation, you cannot guarantee it will be online by that time.
Controlled stop time is an interesting one: what is the use case? I mean Veeam Agent runs with no interruptions to user operations and does not really affect machine resources. After all you cannot even guarantee that user will have workstation(say, laptop?) to be powered on for the duration of the job - user has no idea\no interest in a backup process and might just power off his laptop and drive home.
beratcakirca
Service Provider

Post by beratcakirca »

That is default behavior. Veeam Agent Workstation edition will not retry failed backup until next scheduled cycle.
Documents say it tries every 10 minutes within 23 hours. Am i missing something?

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... tml?ver=30
Controlled stop time is an interesting one: what is the use case? I mean Veeam Agent runs with no interruptions to user operations and does not really affect machine resources. After all you cannot even guarantee that user will have workstation(say, laptop?) to be powered on for the duration of the job - user has no idea\no interest in a backup process and might just power off his laptop and drive home.
I totally agree with you. But they want to have ability to restrict any client backup activity for defined backup window. They are asking for any regedit trick for example.

Thanks.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 680 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Aye, sorry, fell out of context - retries are done if job runs and fails, but retries are skipped when machine missed the backup time due to be off.
Noted Backup Windows as a feature request for Workstation edition.
As an ugly workaround I can see a possibility to stop agent service outside allowed backup window.
Thanks!