Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
exzel
Lurker
Liked: 1 time

Backups are deleted only after fullbackup

Post by exzel »

Hello,

I'm from Germany and my English is not so good.
As I see Veeam Agent deletes only the older backupchain if the new backupchain has been completed. If backups kepts 7 days the backup chain must have a full backup and 7 incrementel backups and then the older chain is deleted. If there is no new fullbackup no chain is deleted. Am I right?

If yes. My problem is that sometimes the computer is not turned on and a fullbackup is not created. Therefore there is no new chain and no older backup would be deleted. Because of that there can be a lot of backups which takes a lot of space on the harddisk.

That is a problem in my opinion. Is there any solution that the fullbackup is created although the computer was turned off or any other way that the backup retention deletes older backups?

Best Regards

Alex
Regnor
VeeaMVP
Liked: 290 times
Full Name: Max

Re: Backups are deleted only after fullbackup

Post by Regnor » 1 person likes this post

Yes that's right, without an additional full backup, you won't be able to delete the existing backup chain.
You could disable the full backups completly and go with forever incremental mode. That way, you would always have 7 restore points (1 Full + 6 Incs).
Just make sure that you enable the health check in the advanced storage tab, or do backup tests regularly.
exzel
Lurker
Liked: 1 time

Re: Backups are deleted only after fullbackup

Post by exzel » 1 person likes this post

Sorry for the late reply. I tested it and it works excactly like you said.

Thank you!