Bare Metal Restore: cannot connect to a backup server

Backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)

Bare Metal Restore: cannot connect to a backup server

Veeam Logoby RoderikdW » Fri May 08, 2015 9:41 am

Support Case ID: 00913359

I am attempting to restore a Windows 2012 R2 Server to VMWare vCloud DIrector 5.6 using VEEAM Endpoint Backup Free Recovery Media.
I created a Recovery Media which includes hardware drivers, and made a backup which was sent to the B&R server.

Now I made a clean machine and inserted the ISO of the Recovery Media. I selected Bare Metal Restore and am attempting to connect to my B&R Server. But for some reason I receive the following error: cannot connect to a backup server.

I have tried it on a VM which had windows server 2012 R2 already installed and a completely new VM. I have tried using the login credentials of the VM's current OS, the backupped server's credentials, and finally my B&R account's credentials. But nothing works and I keep receiving the same error message.

I can ping the server from cmd.

Is this issue known to anyone?
RoderikdW
Enthusiast

Liked: 1 time

Re: Bare Metal Restore: cannot connect to a backup server

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Fri May 08, 2015 3:12 pm

I haven't seen this problem yet. Normally I would think that there is no network or something but since you state you can ping the server from CMD that should not be the issue.

I do kind of not understand what you mean by VMware vCloud Director. So you created an "empty" VM, attached our recovery media ISO onto it and booted on that media. Correct?

Then, through the recovery media, you try to recover a backup created by Endpoint Backup Free that is stored on the B&R server.

Correct?

Let us know

Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Liked: 365 times
Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Veeam Logoby RoderikdW » Fri May 08, 2015 3:40 pm

What you said is completely correct. I am trying to restore a backup stored on the B&R server through the Recovery Media on an empty VM on the vCloud Director environment.

Kind Regards,
Roderik
RoderikdW
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Fri May 08, 2015 3:42 pm

OK.

In that case, can you rerun the entire procedure. When it fails, and you are back on the main window of the recovery media, do not restart but go to the tools. There is an option to save the logs. Save those somewhere and PM Dima.P from the forums here so support can do an investigation to figure out why it is not connecting

Thanks

Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...

Veeam Logoby RoderikdW » Wed May 13, 2015 7:10 am

Thank you - I will do this as soon as possible, I apologize for the delay in response.
RoderikdW
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Wed May 13, 2015 7:25 am

No worries, we are all busy ;-)

Keep us posted with the case ID and if you have received a solution, please let everybody else know also

Thanks

Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby RoderikdW » Mon May 18, 2015 11:56 am

My apologies for the delay,
I have sent the Exported Logs as requested to Dima P.
However the error I am getting is slightly different now.
The reason for this is because a collegue deleted the VM's I was using to test Veeam Endpoint.
So after setting up a new environment to test the Bare Metal Restore in, I tried to execute a Bare Metal Restore and got the following error:

Unable to make a connection to VBR. Either host is unreachable or VBR is down or VBR Version is not supported. Endpoint supports connection to VBR patch2 or greater.

I am quite confident in the fact patch2 is installed as I have done this myself, and this error did not occur last time.
The only change that has taken place in between these 2 attempts to execute a Bare Metal Restore is the upgrade of our Cloud Provider rental license from standard to enterprise plus, however I am not sure how this impacts my Veeam Recovery Media and the connection to the server with this media.
RoderikdW
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Mon May 18, 2015 2:05 pm

Ok,

Thanks for the heads up. Dima will take those logs to QC and we will see from there

Thanks

Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby RoderikdW » Mon May 18, 2015 2:57 pm

Alright Thanks!

Also for an unknown reason the Support Case I opened with the abovementioned support case ID has disappeared from my Support Cases. It's neither in Open or Closed Cases.

Kind Regards,
Roderik
RoderikdW
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Mon May 18, 2015 3:03 pm

I will request support to quickly look what has happened

Thanks

Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Mon May 18, 2015 3:16 pm

Hi Roderik,

The reason it is out of your portal is because this is a support case for VEBF (Sorry, didn't realize that you were talking about the portal... should have known that...) Because our support for free tools is a bit different than our support for paid versions (no SLA's given, everything on best effort) we converted it to a VEBF case and therefore it is gone. However, the case still exists and the email conversation will continue as normal but as said, it is on best effort.

Hope it helps

Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby RoderikdW » Wed May 20, 2015 7:02 am

Alright, thanks for the heads up on that!
RoderikdW
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:51 pm

Hi Roderik,
We’ve detected from the logs that the Recovery Media iso was created in the RC code. May I ask to recreate it then boot and configure the network in the wizard and if the repository is reachable. Once configured, check if you can properly ping the repository server via cmd. Thanks in advance.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 449 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Veeam Logoby RoderikdW » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:58 am

Thank you for the update, I will get to this as soon as possible and post an update when it is done!
RoderikdW
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby RoderikdW » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:33 pm

I am not able to ping it because the firewall does not allow it, but I can telnet it over port 10001 and 6180, yet I cannot connect to the server on the bare metal restore wizard. I am slightly confused as to which credentials must be given when trying to access it too. Should it be the credentials given during the configuration of the actual backup ,or should it be the credentials of the account you received from your cloud provider?
RoderikdW
Enthusiast

Next

Return to Veeam Agent for Windows