Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Peejay62
Expert
Liked: 37 times
Full Name: Peter Jansen

BMR or Volume restore not possible in SAN.Case # 02454160

Post by Peejay62 »

Hi,

I am in the midst of validating VaW (2.1.0.423) to be deployed in our environment. We run a SAN and all machines boot up from it (there are no local disks at all). At testing BMR I got stuck. There wasn't any possibility to perform a BMR (or a single volume restore) because at the diskmapping step there were no target disks to restore to. Different scenario's were tried to have it running (thumbs up for the support along the way) and in the end it turned out that this was being caused by a lacking registry setting within the recovery image. Once this registry setting is done, BMR runs fine. I suspect it's caused by the fact that multipathing is active and one sees all the disks multiple times which makes it hard to choose from.

I was told the registry setting is kept away as a default on purpose as it might cause problems in clustered environments. In my case (and more other cases I guess ) the setting is explicitly needed to perform a working BMR. So isn't there a possibility for example to make this as an option available whilst creating the recovery image so the recovery image is set to go once needed? I Think it is not the most elegant way to first have to perform a regedit to have the BMR running.
note: now I have BMR running I am happy, VaW is validated as a valid solution for backup of our physical windows machines and I can make a start in deploying.

thanks, Peter
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: BMR or Volume restore not possible in SAN.Case # 0245416

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Peter,

Thank you for your feedback!
Peejay62 wrote:. So isn't there a possibility for example to make this as an option available whilst creating the recovery image so the recovery image is set to go once needed? I Think it is not the most elegant way to first have to perform a regedit to have the BMR running.
This regkey was implemented to keep users away from trouble (specifically clusters on SAN). Please consider this a temporary safety trigger to keep users away from trouble.