Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
orgwa
Lurker
Liked: never

Boot post-restore fails "Non-System disk or disk error"

Post by orgwa »

"Non-System disk or disk error
Replace and press any key when ready"
I tried to do a "Bare metal restore", both from USB and from a VEEAM repository on our Veeam B&R server. Both end up in a non-bootable system with the error above.

Ik use a different hard drive in the PC as this is just a test (for the test, we pretend the harddrive is broken and we need to restore to another one).

Notifications about partitioning (and the failing of auto-matching disks) are very obscure, so I might have done something wrong there. Adding the missing NIC driver is just a few clicks away as it's apparently on the restore CD somewhere.

If anyone can shed some light on this matter, that would be very much appreciated.

Best regards,
JB
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Boot post-restore fails "Non-System disk or disk error"

Post by Dima P. »

Hi orgwa,

Did you restore the OS volume and system reserved partition? Check Map Restored Disks article - it's pretty strait forward but let me know if you still have any questions.

Another hint when you are restoring to dissimilar hardware (or recovery media has preserved drivers from another computer) is to uncheck the option ‘Inject these drivers to operating system…’ prior running bare metal recovery. Go to Tools > Load Driver and uncheck the said option and then start bare metal restore procedure