Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Rhina
Novice
Liked: never

Can't get incremental backups running

Post by Rhina »

Hi all,

I've searched the forums and can't believe I'm the first one failing to get incremental backups running on my Win 10 Thinkpad machine. According to the handbook page 222 you simply create a job, and having run it at least one full time, you click backup now to kick off an unscheduled incremental backup.

Now, I've created a job, backup mode "Entire computer", saving to my external drive, no schedule, and had it run one full time. Later that day I wanted to do an incremental backup (I made some changes and wanted to test the incremental function), started the agent, clicked backup now - and it started a new full backup rather than an incremental one. I also tried a File Level backup with a small folder for test purposes and the same result: backup now start a new full backup rather than an incremental backup.

What am I doing wrong?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: Can't get incremental backups running

Post by Gostev »

Just to confirm, what makes you think it does a full backup?
Rhina
Novice

Post by Rhina »

Fair question: I've seen screenshots where the bar chart shows only small bars for incremental backups and full bars for full backups - in my case the bar is always full. Then, with the Entire computer backup, it took the same long amount of time to do the "incremental" backup (i.e. certainly more than an hour, I'm on USB 2.0 still...). If I hover over the bars it gives me the size, and it's more for the following than for the first bar.
Rhina
Novice

Post by Rhina »

I've installed the veeam agent on a different computer with basically the same settings and it works fine there. As I will move to that new computer soon, I've decided not to explore this any further. Who knows what this is. Thank you anyways.