Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
wolker
Novice
Liked: never

CBT and Disk Replacing

Post by wolker »

Hello, I wanted to have some information about how CBT works

If I normally backup 2 disks and I had to replace one of them because it's going to break soon (by obviously doing a disk clone), on the next backup, would Veeam recognize the mapping of the old disk by continuing with the incremental backup or would it perform a full one?

Cheers
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: CBT and Disk Replacing

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

New disk, new blocks —> new cbt data for this disk.
If the disks are in a raid, the blocks will be the same after rebuilding the raid.

Is the disk virtual, a vmdk or vhd, and you have done a restore, new blocks have to be backuped.

It will be a new full backup in your case, if you don‘t use Raid1 or similar and have done a restore of the data tothe new disk.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: CBT and Disk Replacing

Post by Dima P. »

wolker,

Veeam Agent for Windows will perform a full backup of the new disk due to new partition layout, volume IDs and other system information; while the second disk will be processed incrementally. On the repository you will see and vib file that contains full backup of a new disk and incremental backup of the old disk). Cheers!