Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
robnicholsonmalt
Expert
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Rob Nicholson

CRC error restoring from local disk

Post by robnicholsonmalt »

Case #05925665

I've had this problem for a while on one computer - my home built dev PC. When I try to restore from a backup stored on local disk. On re-trying it fails at different places during the restore:

If I reconfigure the agent backup to backup to my Veeam B&R v12 repository, it restores fine, i.e. restore over network works. I've raised a case but am asking here if there is a way to verify the integrity of the local backup? Some command line to verify the VBK/VIB files?
robnicholsonmalt
Expert

Re: CRC error restoring from local disk

It would be very handy if the Veeam Agent File Level Restore app had a verify image function:

Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Hi Rob

Veeam Agent still doesn't have an external integrity checker.
Our discussion from last year doesn't changed since we released the new version 6.

You can schedule a daily health check within the backup job.
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... tml?ver=60
It would be very handy if the Veeam Agent File Level Restore app had a verify image function:
Instead of manual image verification, why not using daily health checks? Much better than doing it manually on demand.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
robnicholsonmalt
Expert

Good idea - didn't think you could do a maintenance check in agent local backups but the option is available.
robnicholsonmalt
Expert

I've run certfile both from within Windows 11 and from the Veeam recovery environment. The SHA256 hashes are identical which infers the recovery environment can read the file fine. Whether the VBK itself is intact is unknown as this was created without the maintenance option mentioned above turned on. Will continue to investigate.
robnicholsonmalt
Expert

I've moved forward a bit in diagnosing the problem. It appears to be a driver/motherboard problem with local storage devices in the Windows 11 RE recovery environment. I'm thinking this because I also use Macrium Reflect Free and it also gets CRC errors when restoring in W11 RE environment. If I build rescue media using Windows PE 10 (WADK) then Macrium Reflect restores fine.

The motherboard is a MSI B450M PRO-VDH PLUS with AMD Ryzen 5 3600 which is listed as Windows 11 compatible but I suspect compatibility isn't great. I very occasionally get blue screens (yes, checked RAM) and really weird USB controller errors when using VMware Workstation.

So this is probably a pretty edge case and not a fault with Veeam recovery as such. I've switched to backing up to the Veeam repository which is slower to restore but works fine.

If I've got time, I'm going to install a clean Windows 10 system and produce Veeam recovery in that environment to confirm the hypothesis.