Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
DaStivi
Service Provider
Liked: 35 times
Full Name: Stephan Lang

Dataflow for Traffic to VBR Backup Repository

Post by DaStivi »

Hello, just a small question, how is the Dataflow when using an VBR "attached" Backup Repository?

VBR Server is in central site, but the repository is on a different server in the local site... but still the local site is added as Windows Server and Repository Server (and Distribution Server) to the central VBR Installation...

so when an Agent is using this repository hows the dataflow? i would like to use the Agent-Managed Mode for the Agent Job Settings, as the Site-Connection may be an issue, so the job shedule is managed by the agent itself and should not be interrupted when the connection to the central site is lost...
but i guess its not possible to use the backuprepo from the vbr server then, because the agent would query the VBR Server each time... also the Dataflow goes throught the VBR Server? instead i've to use an SMB Share, isn't it?
DaStivi
Service Provider
Liked: 35 times
Full Name: Stephan Lang

Re: Dataflow for Traffic to VBR Backup Repository

Post by DaStivi »

i figured out allready agent-managed mode can't be used, as then there it's not possible to use the new GFS Feature :(
Dataflow looks like to be in the local Site only at least for the backup traffic itself, but still unclear what happens when connection to central site is lost... is backup still starting and using the backup repository?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Dataflow for Traffic to VBR Backup Repository

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Stephan,
so when an Agent is using this repository hows the dataflow?
Veeam B&R connects with agent to update settings (according to the rescan schedule of the protection group). Agent connects with repository server via set gateway server to upload the backup. Take a look at Veeam Agent Management Infrastructure chapter of Help Center for more details.
i would like to use the Agent-Managed Mode for the Agent Job Settings, as the Site-Connection may be an issue, so the job shedule is managed by the agent itself and should not be interrupted when the connection to the central site is lost...but i guess its not possible to use the backuprepo from the vbr server then, because the agent would query the VBR Server each time... also the Dataflow goes throught the VBR Server? instead i've to use an SMB Share, isn't it?
You can set local repository with local gateway server, or, say, use a local file share path for the agents located in another site.
i figured out allready agent-managed mode can't be used, as then there it's not possible to use the new GFS Feature :(
That's true, however we plan to add GFS functionality to managed by agent job type in next version of Veeam B&R.
Dataflow looks like to be in the local Site only at least for the backup traffic itself, but still unclear what happens when connection to central site is lost... is backup still starting and using the backup repository?
Veeam B&R will notify you that it's not possible to connect with the agents, but agents will continue to perform backups to the repository if it's accessible. Cheers!