Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
stevenc7
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Steven Camilleri

Deleting old backups

Post by stevenc7 » Sep 06, 2019 2:50 pm

Hey All,

So a basic Windows server setup, MDT / AD / WSUS etc.

Given it's a small setup and forced to use free version of ESX, I decided to use Veeam Agent which works perfectly.

Although i'm a bit confused how to delete older points.

I deleted an incremental backup and I think I broke the chain as as soon I ran the backup it did a full backup instead of incrementals. So is it possible to cleanup very old incrementals without breaking the chain? Is there a best practices way of doing this?

Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 843 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Deleting old backups

Post by Dima P. » Sep 06, 2019 3:31 pm

Hello Steven,

It's not possible to delete restore point from forever incremental backup chain without breaking the backup chain (but old restore points should be merged according to retention). To instantly remove some restore points you can set retention to a lower value and start a full backup. Cheers!

nonobio
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Bruno

Post by nonobio » Sep 07, 2019 7:09 am 1 person likes this post

Hello :)

My destination disk is full (completly !) and even after reducing the retention days, it's seems that Veeam can't work on the backup chain because my disk is too full.

I tried to delete the last incremental file and restarted the backup but it is a new full being created.

My questions :
Does deleting the last incremental file break the chain too ?
What is the solution when a destination disk is completly full (apart of changing for a bigger or deleting all exsting backups) ?

Thanks

stevenc7
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Steven Camilleri

Post by stevenc7 » Sep 09, 2019 8:55 am

Glad to see i'm not the only one with issues. I'd like to reduce the amount of incrementals for sure I only need backups dating back a month or so. Have about 15TB free but the NAS is being used for other things as well. I already have 600GB+ for a few VMs.