Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
mcw
Influencer
Liked: never

Differences between the different editions

Post by mcw »

Hello,

please be so kind to answer the follwing questions:

1. If we perform a backup of a) a domain controller server, b) an Exchange server, c) a SQL server with VAW free: Is it possible to recover the machine in a way that all data that was present at the time of backup can be recovered (completeness) and that the recovered machine's services will be consistent, esp. as regards the Active directory, the Exchange databases and SQL databases (consistency)?

2. As regards VAW free you mention that it does not offer transaction log backup and transaction log truncation: Is it nonetheless possible to make a backup of Exchange and SQL databases with VAW free out of which one can create a fully-operational recovery?

3. We guess that VAW free uses VSS for performing backups. Can we consider a VAW free backup to be at least as consistent as a backup that has been performed using Microsoft's built-in Windows server backup feature?

4. "forever incremental backup": how does the backup in VAW free work if not forever incremental?

5. Is it possible to restore items of a VAW free backup directly to the source location? Is it necessary to use B&R for this?

6. Is it possible to restore single mail items from an Exchange server backup that has been made with VAW free? Is it necessary to use VAW free together with B&R for this? If yes, does the B&R free edition suffice?

7. Is it possible to restore single mail items from an Exchange server backup that has been made with VAW server? Is it necessary to use VAW server together with B&R for this? If yes, does the B&R free edition suffice?

8. "application item recovery": this feature is only partially supported in VAW free: which parts are missing?

Thanks for your help.

mcw
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Differences between the different editions

Post by Dima P. »

Hello mcw,
1. If we perform a backup of a) a domain controller server, b) an Exchange server, c) a SQL server with VAW free: Is it possible to recover the machine in a way that all data that was present at the time of backup can be recovered (completeness) and that the recovered machine's services will be consistent, esp. as regards the Active directory, the Exchange databases and SQL databases (consistency)?
2. As regards VAW free you mention that it does not offer transaction log backup and transaction log truncation: Is it nonetheless possible to make a backup of Exchange and SQL databases with VAW free out of which one can create a fully-operational recovery?
Most likely yes: applications like SQL might require additional tuning in the setup (i.e. providing database admin account to properly snapshot the application), thus Server edition is recommended for application consistent backups.
3. We guess that VAW free uses VSS for performing backups. Can we consider a VAW free backup to be at least as consistent as a backup that has been performed using Microsoft's built-in Windows server backup feature?
Both products rely on Volume Shadow Copy service, that’s true.
4. "forever incremental backup": how does the backup in VAW free work if not forever incremental?
VAW Free works in forever forward incremental or forward incremental with periodic active full backup. Paid version provides periodic synthetic full option as well.
5. Is it possible to restore items of a VAW free backup directly to the source location? Is it necessary to use B&R for this?
6. Is it possible to restore single mail items from an Exchange server backup that has been made with VAW free? Is it necessary to use VAW free together with B&R for this? If yes, does the B&R free edition suffice?
7. Is it possible to restore single mail items from an Exchange server backup that has been made with VAW server? Is it necessary to use VAW server together with B&R for this? If yes, does the B&R free edition suffice?
8. "application item recovery": this feature is only partially supported in VAW free: which parts are missing?
Yes, but you have to mount the backup (start file level recovery) and specify an item you would like to restore manually. Server edition supports application item recovery in automated fashion. Yes, VBR is required (at least free edition).
aceit
Enthusiast
Liked: 14 times

[MERGED] Info on feature comparison between FREE and SERVER

Post by aceit »

Hello,
reading
https://www.veeam.com/veeam_agent_windo ... son_ds.pdf

I see that "Application item recovery" functionality are not fully present in non-server editions (orange marker in the matrix), but not absent.
Can you please clarify to what extent are present?

For example say that I have a free agent installed on physical a domain controller, backing up against a paid B&R Enterprise Plus (all features) infrastructure and repository.

What kind of application item recovery can I do on the free-agent job inside B&R?
ie
- can i restore a single file?
- can i restore an AD object?
- can i restore the full physical domain controller (with proper AD handling in recovery mode) to the same physical system?
- can i restore the full physical domain controller to a VM (with proper AD handling in recovery mode, ie non authoritative)?

let me know,
thanks